State High on the Block [Schedule]

Angel Zheng, Staff Writer

Resilience is the process of adapting well in different situations and it helps us become stronger. This year, students and teachers alike are challenged to become more resilient as they develop new studying and teaching strategies to accommodate the block schedule.

Students discussed their problems because of the block schedule as well as their solutions. Shirley Zhang, freshman, said, “A problem that came along is missing class such as that if I missed a class, the next class I can’t ask the teacher.”  To deal with this issue, she developed into the habit of checking her teacher’s online planbooks if she misses class.

Most of the students seem to be already used to block scheduling, but some are still struggling. Mizzah Tocmo, fellow sophomore, fell into the habit of doing all of her homework on the day it was due. “Block scheduling is increasing my procrastination and [although] I am trying to get better… it’s not going very well so far,” she said.

Students gave advice on how to deal with block schedule and its benefits to themselves. Zheng said that as long you “keep up with what’s happening you will be fine.” She also said that block scheduling is like how college works because the classes are spread out and longer.

“I think this helped me to prepare for college and for me to get used to it so that when I get to college, it won’t be a huge shock,” she said. Many students are on the same page with Shirley about how block scheduling will help them. “Learn to manage your time; it can prepare you for the future such as college,” said Caroline Little.

Mae Nicholas said, “You just have to deal with it and find your own way of dealing with it.”

Just as the students are changing how they work, the teachers of State High are adapting to block scheduling as well. For example, Jack Lyke, a biology teacher in the South building, tries to lecture less and engage his students in more active work to keep them from getting too tired. “I try to not let them sit too long and get them moving,” Lyke said. “I am trying to change the methodology of teaching so the ninety minute class can become more interesting.” However, most of what he teaches hasn’t changed. He still teaches in the same order and gives out the same notes; it’s just how he teaches varied from last year.

For Lyke, it seemed that the burden of change was on the teachers rather than on the students. He did not notice much change in the student’s behavior in class. “The kids are not doing anything different… We just have twice the amount of time to take the twice amount of notes. They are more relying on the teachers to change stuff to make it easier for them,” he said.

No matter how the people of State High are dealing with block scheduling, whether they are teachers or students, they are building resilience and grit. High school is not just about learning or teaching information; it is also about preparing people for the future. At the end of the day, we are all just trying to learn how to get better at getting better.