New Year, Renewed Me

New Year, Renewed Me

Baylie Cameron, Staff Writer

The days prior to and following December 31st often mark more than just the end of one year and the start of the next. These days stand as a time to reflect on all one has accomplished and learned as well as to dream and plan for the future. I would be lying if I said 2015 wasn’t my hardest year yet, but it’s also been the best. I’ve learned more about life and about myself in the past 365 days than I ever could have imagined.

This year I learned that sometimes you need to be weak in order to find your strengths. When you feel like you have hit rock bottom, the good news is you can only go up.

I learned that it’s possible to find hope and peace in places never imagined. When I was at rock bottom, I never could have guessed what would pull me out: the God I didn’t even believe in. I was introduced to Younglife my freshman year but at the time I thought it was pretty stupid. It wasn’t until my brand new friends convinced me to go to a Younglife camp over the summer that I realized God was pretty amazing. I spent the rest of the summer and the end of this year sharing the joy of Him with my friends, my family, and my Younglife leaders every single day. Younglife can’t save everyone, but something can. In 2016, stop looking for a cure and let it come to you. I promise it will be worth it.

I realized that the best friendships develop in the in-between moments. When I walked into sophomore year History and realized that I was seated next to the girl who made me feel the weakest, it’s obvious to say I was very anxious. We absolutely did not get along and did not enjoy each other’s presence. To both of our surprise, we were so wrong. The two of us, as well as one other girl in our class, quickly became best friends. We bonded over the dumbest things, (aka stamps) and were able to grow close with two other girls, making me the happiest I’ve ever been. These wonderful girls, who I never imagined I’d call my best friends, have taught me to recognize what I deserve, to love myself, to love God, and to cherish every moment. Whether you already have amazing friends like these, or you have yet to discover them, remember that they will come to you when you least expect it and when you most need it. That is something to be thankful for.

I’ve figured out that people change, whether you want them to or not. Growth is essential to life and without it everyone would be stuck. When a tree is growing, the branches all eventually grow farther and farther apart. However, if these branches didn’t separate they wouldn’t be able to receive their own nourishments and grow their own leaves. Friendships are the same. Sometimes it really hurts when someone you love grows away from you instead of towards you, but it’s necessary for your own growth.

Finally, I’ve learned that you don’t need to wait for these days to reflect and to change. The second you are unfulfilled, change something for yourself. No one else can.