The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes: Movie Review

The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes movie cover

On Nov. 17, Lionsgate released the enticing prequel to the well-renowned “Hunger Games trilogy; The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes”. Like all the movies in the “Hunger Games” franchise, “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” was adapted from its novel, written by Suzanne Collins. The new movie features an 18 year old President Snow, before he became the tyrannical dictator introduced in the original trilogy.

Fans have been very satisfied with the movie. 

State High sophomore Abby Behe shared, “The movie was really entertaining, I was never bored.” 

Although the movie has overall been well received, some have certain concerns with the film. 

“I thought it was really good, up until the end, and I started getting really confused. I think the end kind of ruined the movie for me, to be honest,” State High junior Katie Stewart said.

Sophomore Anna Patterson had a similar comment.

“I really liked the movie, but the end was kind of confusing,” Patterson said. 

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” depicts 18 year old Coriolanus Snow, played by Tom Blyth. Viewers get the complicated backstory behind a hated character. 

“I like President Snow’s character in this movie, it was really cool to get the background on his life,” Behe stated. 

The movie takes place during the 10th annual “Hunger Games”, and the audience learns of Snow’s early involvement in the games long before he became president. He mentors District 12 tribute Lucy Gray, a singer, played by Rachel Zegler. 

Many fell in love with Zegler’s outgoing character in the movie.

Delta sophomore Stella Brannen stated, “My favorite character was Lucy Gray; Lucy’s a very powerful and different main character so it was nice to see her portrayed in such a big movie like that.” 

Brannen wasn’t the only one who enjoyed Lucy’s character. 

“I liked Lucy Gray’s character because she’s very similar to Katniss and she’s very mysterious,” Behe expressed.

Patterson shared, “I like Lucy Gray. I think she’s a good singer.” 

Overall, the film was a great way to explain the history behind the “Hunger Games”, and it highlighted the contrast between some of the earlier annual “Hunger Games” and the ones that take place during the original trilogy. 

“I think people should watch it because it connects all the puzzle pieces together.” Patterson exclaimed. 

Stewart shared, “I would tell people to watch the movie, especially if they’ve read all the books and been fans in the past because it just gives you some backstory as to why things are the way they are and it shows the difference between then and now.” 

Right now, the movie has taken $266.5 million at the box office, which is over double the budget for the film ($100 million). As of right now, the movie has 64% rotten tomatoes, which ultimately means the movie was well-received.