Three Cheers for Moms!

TNS

After struggling with infertility for 10 years, Jessica Strom, 33, celebrated her first Mother’s Day on May 8, 2016 with her 2-month-old son, Charlie, who she desses on April 28, 2016, at her home in McLouth, Kan. Strom and her husband, Daniel Strom, are elated to have conceived a child after trying for so many years. (Tammy Ljungblad/Kasnas City Star/TNS)

Will Bakken, Journalist

The earliest form of celebrating goes back to Ancient Greece where they held annual spring festivals dedicated to maternal goddesses. The Romans also had a spring festival where they celebrated maternal goddesses. Then the Christians celebrated a Mother’s Day of sorts during the festival on the fourth Sunday of Lent. We today celebrate Mother’s Day as a separate event from the religious context. Everyone has their own way of celebrating Mother’s Day when it comes around the corner. Some people take their mothers out for dinner, while some others make them something. There are so many ways to celebrate Mother’s Day, but let’s see how some fellow students at State High celebrate their mothers.

What is one way to make it up to your mother for the entire year? The answer is breakfast in bed. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, but getting out of bed is torture. Lots of mothers get out of bed just to make their children breakfast. So, it only makes sense for the children to make breakfast for their mother while she is still in bed. Like lots of others, sophomore Brent Carpenter, makes breakfast in bed to celebrating Mother’s Day, “To my family, breakfast in bed is one of the only ways to celebrate Mother’s Day. My Mom loves to have pancakes, eggs, and a cup of coffee, while she watches Ellen.” said Carpenter. Not only is it easy to do and set up, but will allow your mother to start off her day in a great mood. It is a great way to surprise your mother on her special day.

Breakfast in bed is only just one of the ways people celebrate Mother’s Day. Another way to celebrate Mother’s Day is by taking them to dinner or making them dinner. Dinner for Mother’s Day is very similar to breakfast in bed with some differences. Going out to dinner is sophomore Nicholas Bosak’s primary way to celebrate Mother’s Day. “For my family, waking up in the morning to make breakfast is almost impossible. That is why we decide to take Mom out to a nice restaurant of her choice,” said Bosak. Unlike breakfast in bed with its limited food, dinner for Mother’s Day has so many choices. There are tons of restaurants with lots of food options and there are tons of food you can cook.

Mother’s Day is a personal holiday that is celebrated in different ways. Some do breakfast in bed, others take their mothers out to dinner, or some people just spend some long deserved time with their mothers. Whatever you do on Mother’s Day, make sure your mother is having best day ever.

Tammy Ljungblad/Kansas City Star/TNS
TNS