The Stranger, The Better

Abby English, Staff Writer

Every summer, I look forward to the release of new seasons of Netflix original shows such as Orange is the New Black and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. However, this summer, a new show caught my attention after its release date, July 15th. Stranger Things is the story of a young boy named Will who mysteriously disappears. What follows is a frantic search by his family and closest friends as they attempt to find Will and face the supernatural forces that took their friend.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the plot of the show, what stood out to me the most was the way the producers truly made it feel like the story was unfolding in the 80s. The characters and setting reminded me of movies such as The Goonies and Stand By Me. Crystal Dahm, senior, stated, “I really liked the music in the show. The editing was also really great.” Sophomore Denaya Poston enjoyed the show so much that she watched it all in one day. “I liked that each episode kept you guessing,” Poston said. The show appealed to everyone in different ways, giving each person a reason to be excited for another season.

I think that season two will bring more answers about what truly happened to Will and why it is still affecting him. “I think Will is going to die in season two,” stated sophomore Steph Miller. I hope to see the return of Eleven, or Elle in the coming season. “I think Eleven is definitely going to come back,” said senior Hannah Youmans. Viewers hope that when the show is released in 2017, their questions will be answered and they will get to see the return of some of their favorite characters.

Personally, I found Eleven to be the character I enjoyed watching the most. However, after speaking with many different students, I learned just how much the diversity of the cast reflected the diversity of our student body. “Dustin is my favorite because he’s so cute,” said Youmans. “I like Lucas the best because he’s so sassy, and I identify with that”, stated Miller. Poston stated that Hopper was her personal favorite. Each character brings something a little bit different to the table, which makes the show appealing to a broader audience.

But what else has made the show so popular? Emmersyn Atwood, sophomore, stated, “I think the mystery of the show is what makes it so popular.” While the mystery of the show is intriguing, there is more to it than that. “On a base level, Stranger Things is just a good show. The show is also still fairly new, so there’s still a lot of buzz around it,” said Dahm.

While not everyone has seen it, the great reviews have still caught many people’s attention. Senior Michael Macalus stated, “I haven’t watched the show, but I’ve heard good things and I’d definitely consider watching it.” Whether it’s the charm of toothless Dustin or the cliffhangers at the end of each episode, it is clear that Stranger Things has taken hold of the hearts of many State High Students.

About the Writer
Abby English, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Abby English and this is my second year as a part of the journalism team. I work as the copy editor on the yearbook. Initally, I joined...