Field Hockey Sends Off Seniors

Senior Sydney Asencio takes to the field at Varsity Field Hockey’s play-in states game.

Olivia Webb, Staff Writer

As winter draws near, many fall sports teams are beginning to wrap up their season. For seniors, the last game of the season is truly their last. State High’s field hockey team concluded their season at Crestwood High School last week, ending a large chapter in many senior’s lives. They continually worked their hardest throughout the year, but fell to Delaware Valley at their state play in game on November 1st, leaving all 6 seniors with more to be desired.

Junior Kelsey Love, one of the varsity captains, was an instrumental component during their last game.  She was able to find the cage twice during the game, contributing to her 18 overall goals this season, making her the leading scorer on the team. “I thought our team really came together at the end of the year,” Love said, “although it didn’t end how we would’ve liked it to, we fought hard in the last game of the season.” Delaware Valley was found victorious over State High, winning with a score of 3-2.

Despite the abrupt end of the season, many seniors look back on it fondly. “Winning the District VI title was by far the best moment of the season. During that game I think we really demonstrated our ability to work as a tight knit team and exhibited our passing skills,” said senior Sydney Asencio, who has played midfield on State High’s varsity field hockey team throughout her high school career. The team, whose members have coined it “fhockey”, captured their second consecutive District VI title during the 2017 season.

She, like many of the seniors, plans to play field hockey for an indoor club team named “Blue Lions” during the winter season. Sydney has chosen to leave her younger teammates with a word of advice, telling them “don’t take your opportunities for granted.  Be appreciative of every minute you are given to play and be happy to be surrounded by your teammates.”

“We’re going to really miss the seniors next year,” said Kelsey Love. “They were great leaders and always kept us positive during games and practices.”