Branching Out: State College Tree to NYC

This year’s Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is cut down and wrapped up to be shipped. The tree was selected from a neighborhood in State College. “I think it’s very special to have such an important tree be chosen from our city” Junior Phillip Vollmer said.

Thousands of people each year travel to New York City for the winter season. Nothing says Christmas quite like a 75 foot Christmas tree. Rockefeller Center in Time Square choses a Christmas tree each year and it just so happens this year’s tree has been chosen from State College, Pennsylvania.

The tree was delivered to the Rockefeller Plaza and it will soon be decorated and garnished with lights so it can shine bright for the whole world to see. The tradition started in 1944 but the tree stayed unlit due to wartime black-out regulations. The very next year, 1945, Rockefeller saw what is still today the largest tree to be displayed in Rockefeller. The tree measured one hundred feet tall and it came from Killingworth Connecticut. The most recent tree to be displayed in Rockefeller was 94 feet tall. While his years tree from State College is a little smaller than those two. It still measures at 75 feet tall.

Students around State College High School were buzzing when they heard the news. “It really gets me in the Christmas spirit, and I think it’s very special to have such an important tree be chosen from our city,” said junior Phillip Vollmer

On the day the tree was cut down traffic was backed up along East College Avenue (where the tree was grown) and crowds of people gathered to see the massive Norway spruce be tied and cut up. The tree has been shipped to New York and will soon be displayed.