The Legend Lives On: Joe Boris

Owen Burkett, senior, helps the Neon Ballers secure the win. “The Neon Ballers had great poise, determination, and grit,” Burkett said. This was the first game of the IMBA season, and it got off to a great start.

Zach Orndorff, Staff Writer

Joe Boris, or Mr. Boris as many students know him as, has been the Commissioner of IMBA (Intramural Basketball Association) at State High for twenty-nine years. Boris is a retired social studies teacher, and substitutes regularly when needed. During the IMBA season, Boris does the stats, organizes the teams, and is in complete control of the logistics of this intramural basketball league.

Boris has created many bonds with the students he has interacted with at State High, including junior Zach Martin. Martin appreciated who Boris is both through his role with IMBA, and with the program. Martin said, “Boris is literally the icon of State High. There is no reason why someone shouldn’t like him, and he is the perfect fit for the job.”

After talking to Boris, there was a lot of input from him about his job and his history. Almost three decades ago, the State High administration asked Boris if he wanted to run IMBA; at first Boris was hesitant about taking the job. Boris said, “Winter, basketball, High School? I don’t think so, but here I am twenty-nine years later.” The previous commissioner left due to heated conflict. “There was a fight between two teams and it went to the court, and he [the commissioner] said it wasn’t worth it, and he quit,” Boris said.

Boris played basketball in highschool, and has used IMBA to continue his passion. “It’s a lot of fun, and it’s fun for me doing it or I wouldn’t be back,” Boris said. “My favorite part is actually doing the stats, interacting with the students, and giving technicalsI enjoy that a lot,”

A good team, in Joe Boris’s mind, is pretty simple. “You need some speed, you need a person or two that are tall, and just people to go out there and give everything to the team. It’s got to be a team effort,” said Boris

Joe Boris has made an extreme impact on students at State High, and players in IMBA. He is a true legend, and will be remembered forever.