Shaking it Up with Shakespeare

State High Thespians rehearse some lines from a Shakespeare play for during a workshop. “The students loved it. They had so much fun getting to experience such an influential piece of writing,” said club director Jill Campbell. “This was a great way for them to get to know Shakespeare and his work,” Campbell added.

Tyson Cooper, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, November 1st, the Penn State English program invited the American Shakespeare Center to come to State College to put on a workshop for local high schools, including State High. The Thespians, Artists Residency Club and the Learning Enrichment Program all helped in funding for this workshop to be possible. In turn of the funding, some of the professionals from the Shakespeare Center came to State High to perform a hands on workshop for the students. Because of this funding, the entire State College community was allowed to go see the production for free. Former State High Thespian, Hilary Caldwell, was a part of the production. She got along well with her fellow State High students during the workshop. The workshop was aimed at making sure the students could learn and understand how the performers work while they are on stage, along with what goes on behind the scenes so that they are aware of everything that is going on during the production. They got to participate in the workshop by playing their own music that goes along with one of  Shakespeare’s plays. “The students loved it!” said director Jill Campbell. “It was enthusiastically received by all.” Following the workshop, the Thespians were excited about possibly performing a Shakespeare production of their own in the near future. This might be something to expect and look forward to if you are a fan of Shakespeare’s work and the State High Thespian Club.