State High Getting to WIN-ter

The boy's freshman maroon  basketball team playing during their game on Friday, December 15 against Harrisburg. Trey Oyler shooting a foul shot during the 2nd quarter. He said,

The boy's freshman maroon basketball team playing during their game on Friday, December 15 against Harrisburg. Trey Oyler shooting a foul shot during the 2nd quarter. He said, " The game was really tough and challenging, but our team still played really well." In the end, State High lost with a score of 41-46.

Meg Felsmann, Staff Writer

If you’re sad about fall ending, don’t be because winter sports are only beginning. Winter holds so many activities, events, and celebrations. One of the most exciting occasions to take place is winter sports. Here at State High, winter sports are greatly recognized. Some of State High’s best teams play and compete throughout December, January, and February. There are five winter sports played at State High; basketball, swimming and diving, indoor track, wrestling, and hockey. There are both girls and boys teams for basketball, swimming and diving, and indoor track. Only boys participate in wrestling and hockey. One of the major sports here is basketball. Last year, varsity went  almost undefeated winning seventeen out of twenty-two of their regular games. Coach Walker, the varsity basketball coach said, “I have high expectations for the season.  We have numerous returning starters and letterman and hope to improve on our season from last year where we won the district championship, Mid-Penn Championship, and one state playoff game.”  One other sport is Girl’s Indoor Track. In previous years, the teams have placed highly in many events like the PTFCA and PIAA sports meets. This sport accepts all students that wish to participate, including freshman. Coach Evans the varsity and JV track coach said, “There will be many freshman on the team this season, and I trust they will make an impact on our program.” This year there is a new athletic director for State High, [Christopher Weakland] started this year and has so far only directed the fall sports. Weakland said, “ It is exciting to see all of the hard work they have put in during the off-season in the fitness center and in the open gyms and swims. I am really looking forward to seeing them all celebrating shared success.” Winter sports are just beginning, with tryouts and practices starting up each day. Hopefully this winter season will be even better than last year..