Auden Yurman: Fighting for our Future

Alex Voight-Shelley, Staff Writer

Auden Yurman, sophomore, is a passionate representative of State High. She is the organizer of many State High school walkouts to vocalize her political stance. Yurman’s passion for sharing her political voice began during the 2016 presidential elections. She organized and then led the student walkout in 2017, along with her brother Eli Yurman, who graduated last year. The walkout included speeches by students who felt unrepresented during the election. “Last year my brother and I organized a walkout on inauguration day because it was so important to me that students have a say in politics,” Yurman said. “There is a saying that students are the future, but if that’s true, then why do we have to wait until we’re adults to actually have opinions?”

Yurman was raised on the belief that anyone has the power to change things, and she feels she has a responsibility to express her views.

She has been encouraged by her family to speak up for herself and her beliefs. Her family has had a personal hand in past protests and political events. Her entire family is political, and it has been passed down through generations. “I think it runs in the family,” Yurman said. “My grandparents marched with Martin Luther King, and my grandmother started an organization for Israeli-Palestinian peace,”

Her family has given her the support she needs to express herself. “Last year when I said ‘hey, would you be okay with me encouraging other kids to skip class and have a walkout’ they were great about it,” Yurman said. “I think our parents have raised us on this belief that if you want something to change, you have to change it.”

Auden organized a march to protest against gun violence that was held on April 20th, the anniversary of the Columbine shooting in 1999 that killed 12 students and 1 teacher. This was a national walkout day, meaning schools across the country will be walking out to protest. “A lot of people right now are saying that students are going against the 2nd amendment and going against the constitution, but we’re just fighting because we don’t want to die,” Yurman said. She is willing to listen to the opinions of others regarding the ownership of guns, but she counters having a gun significantly increases the risk of injuries and deaths.

“The technology that was being used when the Constitution was written is completely different than what it is now. 18th century laws can not apply to 21st century technology,” Yurman said. She feels others need to understand that gun laws must be written appropriately to control gun violence in today’s world. The walkout will host student speakers, who will discuss why they believe in gun reform.

Yurman was very grateful to the State High for organizing a school memorial on March 14th, but felt the sentiment didn’t go far enough. “The memorial was great, and it was really important to remember the students who had died, but remembering the students isn’t going to solve the problem,” Yurman said.

Yurman feels that the student led walkout will have a greater meaning when it comes to ending gun violence. Yurman said, “Having a school affiliated event doesn’t completely get the point across that we’re students, and we’re demanding an end to gun violence,” 

People like Auden Yurman are the future leaders of communities around the nation. Yurman is a figurehead for State High as a strong, opinionated individual, who many feel deserves the recognition for her peaceful protests. She is passionate about making change happen and is willing to risk punishment from the school. She stands up for what she believes in, and generations can expect to see her continue to voice her opinions on topics influencing her future. Yurman said, “It’s so important to understand that we don’t have to be the future, we can be right now.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Auden Yurman: Fighting for our Future”

1. Eli on May 16th, 2018 11:58 pm

hey! nice use of quotes! Im in this article! 😉

Auden Yurman: Fighting for our Future