Another Successful Isaacs

Morgan Higgins, senior, and president of the thespian’s student board, on stage after accepting an Isaac for “Actress in a Leading Role”. This is Higgins second Isaac and she was very thankful for the award, “When my name was called I got the same rush that I did last year and I shook just as much when I gave my speech,” Higgins said. The Isaacs were a success and State High went up with three Isaac awards. Photo is courtesy of Drew Frank.

Hana Wiessmann, Staff Writer

The Isaacs, an award show honoring high school theater hosted by the Altoona Community Theatre, took place for the thirteenth time on Sunday May 27, 2018. Apart from being presented awards, students and their schools were given the opportunity to perform nominated scenes from their shows. Amongst several participating schools, the State High thespians were nominated for five Isaacs for their production of Once Upon A Mattress.

The State High ensemble was nominated for, “Best Stage Crew,” “Ensemble,” “Best Musical Number,” “Featured Dance” and “Best Production.” Several State High students were also individually nominated that night including Morgan Higgins for “Actress in a Leading Role,” Nicholas Cole for “Actor in a Leading Role,” Olivia Marshall for “Actress in a Supporting Role,” and both Will Fecko and John Michael Rosenblum for “Actor in a Featured Role.”

Alicia Eckley, a senior representative of the thespian’s student board, enjoyed the Isaacs. Eckley especially loved watching the performances from the nominated shows throughout the night. “The most memorable part of the Isaacs last night was watching John Michael Rosenblum perform the tap solo that he choreographed himself,” Eckley said. Rosenblum is treasurer of the thespian’s student board and performed the scene “Very Soft Shoes” from State High’s production of Once Upon A Mattress. Olivia Marshall, senior and vice-president of the thespian’s student board also expressed her love for the performance. “[“Very Soft Shoes”] is one of my favorite numbers from the show and I’m so glad we got to share it with the whole audience,” Marshall said.

“Very Soft Shoes” was awarded “Best Featured Dance” of the night. The State High thespians also won “Best Ensemble” and Will Fecko, who played the Minstrel in Once Upon A Mattress, was runner up for “Actor in a Featured Role.” Finally, senior Morgan Higgins, president of the thespian’s student board, won best “Actress in a Leading Role,” as well as a one thousand dollar scholarship.

Higgins has been coming to the Isaacs award show since her freshman year and last year won best “Actress in a Supporting Role.”

“I was completely prepared to watch someone else experience that honor, considering that every other nominee in my category was also a great belter and actress,” Higgins said. Isaac winners are promoted to give a speech to the audience after receiving an award. “When my name was called I got the same rush that I did last year and I shook just as much when I gave my speech,” Higgins said.

Overall, the Isaacs award show was a huge success. Marshall, one of the State High Thespians nominated that night, was grateful for the experience. “This was my first nomination and I was absolutely thrilled! Just the honor of being nominated was really worthwhile!” Marshall said. “If you would have told me this time last year I would be nominated for an Isaac I wouldn’t believe you!” Higgins also enjoyed the night and was incredibly thankful for the opportunity. “I can’t thank Altoona Community Theatre enough for providing this opportunity to high school theatre students in central PA,” Higgins said.