The Disease Sweeping Seniors: Senioritis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Intermixed with underclassmen, seniors exit the school with their 'float on' balloons.

Sydney Ascencio, Staff Writer

Every student has heard of it.  It’s something every underclassman claims to have, yet cannot truly comprehend until their final year of high school.  Senioritis refers to the lack of incentive experienced by seniors to write essays, take tests, complete math problems, or to do just about anything school related in general.  To put this notion into perspective, I pushed this article off until the week before I graduate. Even now, I’m struggling to stay focused and finish this. I just want to watch Netflix.

Other seniors can agree with this sentiment, especially because school hasn’t slowed down as much as many expected.  Assignments are still flowing with single digit days of class remaining. “I’ve been kind of overwhelmed with everything happening at the end of the year.  There’s a lot of projects and tests to finish before all the seniors leave, so it hasn’t been laid back,” said senior Stevie Vescio-Franz about the last second workload.  Because seniors are released two weeks before underclassmen, the curriculum is often condensed and rushed towards the end of the year. “I still have a lot of homework to do, even though school is supposed to be winding down.  It’s more than I anticipated and I don’t necessarily have the drive to keep up with it all,” said senior Olivia Webb. I feel that teachers should change their methods to reflect this change in attitude as the end of the school year approaches.  This can be done by minimizing homework and making use of discussion based learning that occurs in class. Otherwise, seniors aren’t motivated to put forth their best work, if they even do the assignment at all. “Senioritis is indeed real because eventually you just stop caring.  I think teachers recognize this attitude, but most don’t adjust their class for it,” said Webb.

After being admitted into college, seniors are ready to advance towards their future.  Excitement lies ahead, and the last part of high school just seems to hold students back.  “You don’t understand how real senioritis is until you’re actually a senior and accepted into a college. It takes a lot of motivation to do high school work when you’re already planning the next stage of your life,” said senior Katherine Groves.  Senioritis shouldn’t be regarded as something solely negative. We may be annoying with our constant complaints and eye rolls when a paper is placed in front of us; however, we are just eager to open a new chapter.