German Exchange Program: Developing new experiences

Fifteen exchange students from Germany start their three weeks of exchange at State High. The German exchange program has been ongoing for almost twenty years at State High. This year, exchange students had the opportunity to participate in the State High homecoming parade, dance, and football game. They are also going to have a field trip to visit Hershey and New York City.  “It is a very independent feeling because you are in a very different place,” exchange student, Paulina Schreiber, said.

Fifteen exchange students from Germany start their three weeks of exchange at State High. The German exchange program has been ongoing for almost twenty years at State High. This year, exchange students had the opportunity to participate in the State High homecoming parade, dance, and football game. They are also going to have a field trip to visit Hershey and New York City. “It is a very independent feeling because you are in a very different place,” exchange student, Paulina Schreiber, said.

Olivia Zhang, Staff Writer

Starting the week of Sempeter 17th, fifteen exchange students from Germany began their three week exchange at State High. The exchange students are from Helene-Lange Schule, a gymnasium school in Hanover, northern Germany. The class range of Hele-Lange Schule is from 5th grade to 13th grade. All exchange students who are visiting State High are in tenth and eleventh grade, and are on their paths to universities.  

The German exchange program has been ongoing for almost twenty years at State High. Annually, German students visit State High in the fall for three weeks. During these three weeks, they attend classes, live with their host family, and travel to different states. State High students make the trip back at end of school year in June to visit Germany.

Students have the opportunity to experience a different culture, meet new people, and learn more about a foreign language during their exchange period. The exchange program also enhances connections between the two schools and increases cultural diversity for their education.

Paulina Schreiber, one of the 11th grade exchange students, enjoys playing soccer. She decided to be an exchange student because she wants to improve her English and experience a different culture. “The school system is very different from our school system, the food is also very different. It is a very independent feeling because you are in a very different place,” Schreiber said.

The week of homecoming also gave those exchange students chances to participate in the parade, dance, and football game. “I saw the Nittany lion and the Penn State campus. I ate at a lot of different restaurants,” Schreiber said. German students will be visiting Hershey Park and New York City during the remainder of the exchange period.