How do students feel about the Homecoming Court?

Alexa Webb, Staff Writer

At State High, Homecoming Court is a longstanding tradition. Every year, seniors are nominated for the court in hopes of becoming Homecoming King and Queen. But what does Homecoming Court do to benefit the school community? Is homecoming court important to the students who attend school here? Many schools across the country have a Homecoming Court that the students have many contrasting opinions on. At State High, the kids who make up the school definitely have a variety of impressions about the court.

“I think Homecoming is, in a way useless. There is no real point and it seems to be unnecessary competition in an event that is supposed to be fun,” senior Talia Shechter said.

Many students at State High feel that Homecoming Court has no real importance and that it should be an event celebrated for everyone in the school that is surrounded by entertainment and amusement, not a competition on who gets the most votes to become king and queen. A considerable amount of students do not have a strong opinion on the Homecoming Court and think that it is counterproductive.

Although some students find Homecoming Court to be useless, others feel that it is a fun tradition that has been around for a long time and is honorable.

“I’m honored to be nominated for Homecoming Queen. I’m happy to be on the court. It’s been around for a while and it’s a tradition that is part of every high school,” senior Supriya Kumar said.

There are differing opinions about Homecoming Court. Some feel it is useless and some feel it is honorable. Among these students are many who do not seem to know what Homecoming court is or why it exists.   

“I don’t really care. Honestly, I think the Homecoming Court is kind of rigged. If you’re hyped up by the other popular kids at our school, then you’re going to win. It doesn’t really seem like anyone knows who’s on the Homecoming court every year though,” sophomore Keegan Walker said.

At State High, there are many differing opinions about the Homecoming Court, but it is a tradition that will live on for a long time to come.