Don’t Risk the Biscuit

Students are enjoying their lunch at State High’s Outside Sitting Area

Alexa Webb, Staff Writer

“In the United States, the percentage of children and adolescents affected by obesity has more than tripled since the 1970’s,” reported the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

As the years go by, it seems that childhood health risks are increasing. Whether it be obesity, diabetes, or another life- threatening disease, this is a large problem all across America that needs to be solved. So the question remains, what can the people of America do to prevent these health issues for children?

It turns out that food is a main factor in what affects our health. The foods we eat contains certain amounts of sodium, sugar, calories, vitamins, and other nutrients that affect our physical health.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, “Undernutrition (insufficient intake of energy and nutrients to meet an individual’s needs to maintain good health), can negatively affect overall health, cognitive development, and school performance.”

A poor diet and lack of nutrients can majorly affect overall health. One solution to this problem, is schools and what they promote and sell. Schools can make an enormous impact on health. The food served in school cafeterias across the country have certain restrictions and guidelines that must be followed for the health of the students and staff. The staff members of the cafeteria make sure the food they serve fits the criteria of state and federal regulations.

The most important set of regulations that we have to meet are those for the National School Lunch and Breakfast Programs. All meals have to meet food and nutrition standards.  All meals have to include specific amounts of whole grains, meat/meat alternate, fruits, vegetables and milk. In addition, meals have to provide age appropriate calories and limit fat and sodium. Snacks sold in schools also have specific nutrient standards known as the Smart Snacks in Schools Rules,” Megan Schaper, Food Service Director at State High said.

Schools maintain a certain standard to the food students consume and make sure it is healthy for their particular age at all times. At State High especially, the cafeteria is something it takes pride in. State High has a variety of choices, ranging from a salad bar to macaroni and cheese. State High has lots of selections that adolescents love to eat, like chicken nuggets, breadsticks, and much more, while keeping up with the food regulations by substituting in healthier options like more whole grains and less sodium.

State High, along with many other schools around the country, make sure the students who attend school there are getting a balanced diet and providing a solution to the problem of child health risks. Schools are giving children and adolescents the nutrition they need.