Too Old to Trick-or-Treat

On+October+31st%2C+Halloween+night%2C+kids+of+all+ages+go+out+to+get+as+much+candy+as+possible.+However%2C+some+students+expressed+that+they+are+too+old+to+participate.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99ve+transformed+from+getting+diabetes+to+giving+diabetes%E2%80%9D+said+Baron+Cao%2C+a+senior+at+State+High.+
On October 31st, Halloween night, kids of all ages go out to get as much candy as possible. However, some students expressed that they are too old to participate. “I’ve transformed from getting diabetes to giving diabetes” said Baron Cao, a senior at State High.

Troy Heatwole, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again. The air is crisp, the weather is cooling down, and the ground is covered with leaves of all colors. October has always been one of my favorite months of the year. Not just the football and the cooler weather, but the candy and the dressing up. I am, of course, talking about Halloween, a holiday celebrated in the United States where kids go door to door dressed up as their favorite superhero or something scary. Many of my fondest memories as a child have been running around with my friends trying to fill up pillowcases with as much candy as possible. However, the question always arises with teenagers as they get older. At what age is it too old to trick-or-treat?

Some believe that you are never too old to trick or treat, or that at least high school is fair game. Marc Allerheiligen, a senior at State High, went out Wednesday to get in on the fun. “Why would I be too old?” said Allerheiligen, “You can’t be too old to go out and have fun running around with your friends getting candy.” Many have expressed that feeling and had a good time with their friends on Halloween night.

On the other hand, some believe that when you get to a certain age, it’s time to stop. Barron Cao, a senior at State High, said that for him, the 9th grade should be the cut-off. He has better things to do, anyway. “College Applications are due tomorrow,” said Cao, “Gotta get at it now.”

The debate of whether trick-or-treating has an age limit has gone back a long time. It seems that nowadays, it is not uncommon for kids in high school to go out for some free candy. The counterpoint is that Halloween should just be for little kids and that the older kids are taking away from a younger child’s experience. Whatever the current opinion is, we know that Halloween is a landmark holiday in our youth, and lots of people want it to last forever.

Troy Heatwole, Staff Writer

Hello! My name is Troy Heatwole a senior at State High and I am very excited to be a part of Journalism. I decided to join Journalism because I am going...