‘Tis The Season, Yet Again

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Tis The Season, Yet Again

“Mrs. Clause” performs holiday songs for an audience downtown State College. Previously in the day, Winter Storm Avery had delivered almost a foot of snow. “The snow really added to the night, too. It truly felt like Christmas time, even though it is still November,” junior Lauren Arnold said.

Kaylee Richards

Kaylee Richards

Kaylee Richards

Kaylee Richards, Staff Writer

Tree lightings signify the beginning of the holiday in cities all over the world. In Rio de Janeiro, spectators can witness one of the world’s biggest Christmas trees light up the night. New York City is home to one of the most notable Christmas trees in the country, with 125 million people visiting it per year.

On a local scale, State College held its annual tree lighting ceremony on November 16th in downtown State College. The tree lit up the night where West College and Allen Street meet.

Many of the townspeople gathered in the streets of downtown State College from 5:30 until 7:30, where they watched the tree light up the night.

Until the actual tree lighting itself, performers sing songs and attendees can indulge in provided snacks and beverage.

“It’s the hot chocolate that keeps me coming back,” junior Elliot Sheehan said. His family has been long-involved with State College and the annual tree lighting. His grandfather, Arnold Addison, was once a mayor of State College. “It makes me so happy to see that the tradition has lasted so long. I could go to New York to see the Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting but what’s more meaningful to me is the atmosphere and the quaintness of our town.”

Junior Lauren Arnold and her family have also made the Christmas tree lighting a tradition. “My family and I love downtown State College at Christmas time. My five year old brother couldn’t wait to see Santa.” Each year, Santa Claus comes to the ceremony to invite a young child onto the stage to light the Christmas tree. The child’s name was drawn from a pool of children who were generous enough to donate to Toys for Tots.

“The tree lighting ceremony is one of my favorite State College events! Each year, I love seeing all the young children, and even adults, enjoying the music and entertainment,” Sheehan said.

Kaylee Richards, Staff Writer

Kaylee Richards is a junior at State High. She has always had a passion for writing, and Journalism has presented her with the opportunity to do just that....