Who’s got Spirit? State High Does!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Who’s got Spirit? State High Does!

State High’s 2018-2019 cheerleaders pose for a team picture at PIAA states this year! The team qualified for semifinals for the first time in State High history. “I was so proud of my team and to be able to represent our school and our community on the state level,” Emma Wenrick, junior, said.

Photo Courtesy of Roxanne Williams

Photo Courtesy of Roxanne Williams

Photo Courtesy of Roxanne Williams

Brighid Perkins, Staff Writer

This January 11th and 12, your very own State College Little Lions Cheerleaders competed in the PIAA states competitive spirit competition. The competition took place in the Giant Center at Hershey PA. After qualifying through the preliminary event on Friday, January 11th, the team went back on Saturday to compete in the semi-finals. Ending up 2nd in the semi-finals out of all coed teams, the cheerleaders went home satisfied with their performance.

Our goal this year was to win districts and at least qualify for states. When we did that, the rest was just extra for us,”  Emma Limegrover, sophomore, said. The team practiced every single week leading up to States, working hard to surpass their goals.  “The weeks leading up to states were very hard. Some weeks we practiced 5 days a week, we added in many skills for our states routine and had couple injuries so we had lots to practice,” Limegrover said.

This year’s State High Cheerleader’s performances in the PIAA States competition really made everyone proud. The team members were all enthusiastic about with their success and the coaches were happy to see their students do so well. “My favorite part of States was our coaches reaction to us hitting our routine and seeing how proud they were of us,” Skylar Kutruff, senior, said. The team had made it through their routines with only minor mistakes, and their hard work paid off in their performance. “We were all pretty drained but we pushed through it and it clearly paid off,”  Kutruff said. Being the first team in State High history to move on through the preliminaries and into semifinals of the states cheer competition, the 2018-2019 State High Little Lion’s Cheerleaders made school history this past weekend.

About the Writer
Brighid Perkins, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Brighid Perkins. I am a sophomore at State High and this is my first year participating in journalism. Outside of school, I tend to spend...