State College Celebrates Signing Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

State College Celebrates Signing Day

Last Wednesday, in the auditorium at State College Area High School, the Little Lions celebrated National Signing Day by celebrating the Class of 2019’s athletes heading to college for their respective sports. The ceremony included four football players from the Lions’ D6, 8, 10 Champion team.

Tommy Friberg
Position: QB
School: Michigan
Other Offers: PWO from Penn State, Columbia

For Tommy Friberg, the move from State College to Ann Arbor comes with a lot of risks. Accepting a PWO from the Wolverines over the Nittany Lions on February 3rd came to ruffle some feathers around town, however, the move was natural for Friberg. “When I visited, I had a really good conversation with all the coaches, I built really good relationships with them, and I really loved the school itself,” Friberg said “ I felt like it was a really good fit for me. Really strong academics, It was a gut feeling. I could see myself there.” For Friberg what made the decision all the more sweeter was the environment for quarterbacks in Ann Arbor. “It only helped my decision, playing at the same school as a QB like Tom Brady, there’s a real culture of tradition there, and I’m really excited to be a part of that,” Friberg said. Friberg will look to compete for a roster spot with the Wolverines coming up in fall.

Cohen Russell
Position: Slot
School: Slippery Rock
Other Offers: PWO from Penn State, Clarion

On January 21, Cohen Russell announced his intentions to play football at Slippery Rock. Only a few hours later, his former State High teammate, Brandon Clark, announced his intentions to transfer from Penn State and join Russell in the receiving corps at The Rock. For Russell, it was an easy decision. “I just felt home, I loved the coaching staff, I can do big things there in the PSAC league, and I’ll be starting as a Freshman,” Russell said. As far as playing together again, both Russell and Clark are excited about it, Russell said, “We were pretty happy, we played in high school and in peewee, so it was nice to be able to have the chance to play together in college.”

Shane Cole
Position: Tackle
School: California University of Pennsylvania
Other Offers: Grove City, Waynesburg, Clarion

For Shane Cole, the reason for choosing to play for the Vulcans was simple, “The Buffet was amazing!” an exuberant Cole said on the podium. For the 300+ pound offensive lineman, however, the decision also included a few other factors. “When I stepped onto their campus, I loved it, one of the nicest campuses I’ve ever seen. I think I’ll have a chance to crack the starting five in the next few years,” Cole said.

Jaden Seider
Position: QB
School: Penn State
Other Offers: None

Jaden Seider, a participant in the elite 11 QB tournament in 2017, will join his father at Penn State in the fall as a walk-on. Seider’s father is the Running Backs coach for the Little Lions.

Also included from the Little Lions in Signing day activities is safety, Ryan Franks, who intends to play lacrosse at Susquehanna University, and DE Cole Urbas who will wrestle at the University of Pennsylvania.

1 Comment

One Response to “State College Celebrates Signing Day”

1. Jennifer Reed on February 25th, 2019 8:57 pm

What about all the other athletes????????

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

Language is the Key: State High’s World Language Department

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

In with the old, out with the new: State High senior on reinventing designer jewelry

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

A Year to Remember

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

The Balance of Athletics and Academics with Mia Iceland

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

Super Bowl 53 Review

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

Athletes Commit to Furthering Their Careers

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

Audio

State College Football Podcast: Signing Day, Transfer Portal, and 2019 Depth Chart Preview

• State College Celebrates Signing Day

5 New Restaurants Open in State College

• Features

Spilling the Tea on SC Bubble Tea: Part Two

State College Celebrates Signing Day