State High Choir Shines at PMEA

State High singers who competed at the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) District chorus festival pose with their director, Erik Clayton. 25 of the 27 students representing State High advanced on to the Regional competition. “I was extremely proud of how well everyone did! I thought it was a very successful festival,” said Clayton.

Sarah Ambrose, Senior Editor

Some of State High’s best singers competed at the Pennsylvania Music Educators Association (PMEA) District festival on February 7th through 9th at Clearfield High School. Students participating had the opportunity to perform rehearsed pieces in front of a panel of judges to get feedback and a chair ranking with the potential to move on to the Regional competition. “It was kind of exhausting. We had to do a lot of singing,” junior Natalia Carrasco-Muñoz said.

The State High participants in PMEA were selected based off of their audition scores for Master Singers. Throughout the school year, they met with State High’s choir director Erik Clayton to rehearse and prepare for the competition. “I think that the most work is actually the work you have to put in before [PMEA] and learning all the songs,” Carrasco-Muñoz said.

Upon arrival at three-day day competition, singers were adjudicated and placed in chairs, which became their ranking for the weekend. The next two days were spent rehearsing and performing. The top 10 chairs for each section advance to the Regional competition which will take place in mid March. Of the 27 singers, State High sent 25 advanced to Regionals, continuing on the tradition of success. “I was extremely proud of how well everyone did! I thought it was a very successful festival, particularly because everyone was very positive and had a good time,” Clayton said.