Red Light, Green Light, Go!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Red Light, Green Light, Go!

The State College Area School Board approved the purchase of this traffic light at a school board meeting. State High Junior Brennan Dorefice said, “In my opinion I feel the traffic lights are really going to be useful and that the purchase was worth it.” As young drivers and high schoolers cross the street, the traffic light will not only make this daily transition more efficient, but safer.

Zach Orndorff, Staff Writer

On March 11, the Monday after Spring break, State High students were the first ones to walk past the brand new traffic lights. The soon to be four-way intersection is located on Westerly Parkway and will be connected to Logan Avenue where it extends to Westerly Parkway.

The State College Area School Board approved the purchase of this traffic light at a school board meeting. Although it was purchased around the month of June in 2018, the construction team just put them up and are working this week on making the lights functional. A study was done on the traffic and how the light could help the flow of pedestrians as well as their safety. The cost of this traffic light was paid with the overall new State High building project.

State High Junior Brennan Dorefice said, “In my opinion, I feel the traffic lights are really going to be useful and that the purchase was worth it.” The total cost was $242,870.30, which is a good price based off of the budget which was $300,000. Dorefice, along with many other juniors and seniors, drives to school, and many have complained and have at least taken note of the poor traffic.

“Sometimes I show up late because of the traffic. I just overall think it is needed and will help make things run smoothly,” Dorefice said.

Generally speaking, students and staff of State High agree that the traffic light will have a positive impact. As young drivers and high schoolers cross the street, the traffic light will not only make this daily transition more efficient, but safer.

About the Writer
Zach Orndorff, Staff Writer

My name is Zachary Robert Orndorff. I enjoy writing, and talking, which is why I am here, in Journalism. But that’s not the only reason. I watch sports...