The Balance of Athletics and Academics with Mia Iceland

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mia Iceland warms up before an indoor track meet. The pole vaulter has been competing since the beginning of last year.

Mia Iceland warms up before an indoor track meet. The pole vaulter has been competing since the beginning of last year. "I truly love the sport," Iceland said.

Clarissa Theiss, Staff Writer

In a school filled with remarkable athletes, finding one that stands out is no easy feat. It’s not just athletic performance that has to be up to par, but involvement in academics, extracurriculars, and overall personality, mindset, and moral values that create the golden athletes State High is proud to have represented. Freshman Mia Iceland is a prime example of one of these upcoming athletes at State High.As a pole vaulter, sports have consumed a large part of Iceland’s time. She practices 6 days a week for 2 hours a day, and “loves every moment of it.” She is  constantly watching videos and tutorials on how to improve her skill, and said, “I will definitely continue pole vault through my four years of high school, and then…if I am good enough, still interested and in love with the sport, I would absolutely consider doing pole vault in college.” Iceland began pole vault just last year, and truly enjoys the sport.  The required training for pole vault, including weightlifting, stimulates her mind and keeps her interested in the sport. “There is a bunch of different attributes to [training], which helps me to get introduced to other areas of track and field,” Iceland said. But Iceland’s success doesn’t end there.

On top of her athletic commitments, Iceland values academics and said, “academics always come number one, before anything else.” She even admits that studying, tests, and schoolwork are always more important than her pole vault practice. Not only does she sport a 4.7 GPA, but she also has found her way into State High’s DECA club, a competition based business organization that she dedicates an afternoon each week to. Iceland says that no matter what she does, she strives for success. “I’m not sure what I want to do after college, but whatever I may go into, I want to be one of the best, if not the best,” Iceland said. However, she says finding balance doesn’t come from perfection.

When asked if she ever felt overwhelmed balancing such large aspects of her life at once, she laughed. “Of course! There have been so many times when I’m doubting myself, wondering why I’m doing it… But I just re-understand why I am doing what I’m doing, pick myself back up, and push forward.” At the end of the day, whether it be academics, athletics, or extracurriculars she said simply, “I know that I am doing my best.” While Iceland strives to be the best, she is certainly not dwelling over the impossible “perfect” performance. She says she feels satisfied with both her academic and athletic career thus far and is eager to see where it may go.

About the Writer
Clarissa Theiss, Staff Writer

Hi, I’m Clarissa Theiss! I’m a freshman here at State High. I’m involved with Mock Trial, DECA, and student government. I signed up for Journalism...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “The Balance of Athletics and Academics with Mia Iceland”

1. Ann Theiss on April 4th, 2019 11:35 am

Grandfather Browne ( former AP reporter) is smiling.

2. Charles theiss on April 4th, 2019 1:12 pm

Awesome!

• The Balance of Athletics and Academics with Mia Iceland

Karamo Brown Visits Penn State to Give Words of Advice

The List of Test-Optional Colleges and Universities Keeps Growing

State High Students Rally in Support of Action Against Climate Change

Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Taking on States with State High DECA

Why Did Mr. Wilson Wash My T-shirt?

Red Light, Green Light, Go!

Bocce Ball Match

State High Lockdown

A & E

Wish You Were Here At Travis Scott