Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Back to Article
Back to Article

Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Democratic Presidential Candidate Beto O’Rourke visits Penn State University to host a campaign rally. “As long as these conditions persist, as long as we do these kinds of things to our fellow human beings, it is on all of us,” O’Rourke said. Listeners were eager to hear from the candidate on his policies, which are not listed on his website.

Sierra Hockenbury and Kaylee Richards

Presidential Candidate Beto O’Rourke joined hundreds of supporters for a campaign rally held at The Hub at Penn State on Tuesday, March 19th. After just entering the 2020 presidential race last week, Penn State students and community members alike were eager to from O’Rourke regarding his policies and perspectives.

Some State High students even missed out on morning classes to hear Beto’s campaign speech. “I want to hear what he has to say, and it is a really cool experience to be able to hear that,” senior Clare Connell said. After a few hours of waiting in lines with hundreds, people were greeted by O’Rourke, who was wearing a Penn State hat. He led the popular “We Are!” chant that appeals to many locals.

Students, especially those who can vote in the 2020 election, were very eager to hear from a future candidate. “I think that Beto O’Rourke is a solid candidate and that he has a realistic shot at becoming the President of the United States, so that’s why I’m here,” senior Jackson Harper said. O’Rourke’s campaign holds the record for most money raised in 24 hours with $6.1 million dollars.

O’Rourke made sure to answer questions from the eager audience before he departed on the remainder of his grassroots campaign across the United States.

Regarding immigration policies, Beto had the community put themselves in the shoes of many: “You begin to understand what would compel you to scoop up your baby and walk 2,000 miles, maybe hop aboard on top of the roof of a train, known as the beast, or la bestia, to show up [to the United States] penniless, without a friend, and no idea what is next.” He continued adding to this image, “And then imagine at that most desperate and vulnerable moment…we take that child, for whom you risked your very life, from your arms, we deport you back to the very country from which you fled, we put that child in a cage, we separate you, with no hope or prospect of ever being able to join again…”

O’Rourke concluded his campaign rally by encouraging the audience that change is coming. He emphasized the importance of young adults’ active participation in politics. Here’s the upside: in this Democracy, we can rewrite our laws in our own image and in the image of our communities.”

About the Writers
Sierra Hockenbury, Online Newspaper Co-Editor-in-Chief

Hi, my name is Sierra Hockenbury and I am a junior here at State High! This is my third year in the Journalism program. Traveling and exploring new places...

Kaylee Richards, Staff Writer

Kaylee Richards is a junior at State High. She has always had a passion for writing, and Journalism has presented her with the opportunity to do just that....

1 Comment

One Response to “Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley”

1. Jane Patt Biddle on April 3rd, 2019 2:17 pm

h

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Super Bowl 53 Review

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Athletes Commit to Furthering Their Careers

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Audio

State College Football Podcast: Signing Day, Transfer Portal, and 2019 Depth Chart Preview

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

State College Celebrates Signing Day

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

5 New Restaurants Open in State College

• Features

Spilling the Tea on SC Bubble Tea: Part Two

• Features

Spilling the Tea on SC Bubble Tea: Part One

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Getting Her Head in the Game: Delia Lower

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

Ringing In The New Year

• Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley

New Year, New You?

Beto O’Rourke Visits Happy Valley