Hit, Pin, Win; The Grind Doesn’t Stop for State High Wrestlers

Senior+Cole+Urbas+on+the+podium+after+his+first+place+finish+in+his+weight+class+%28195+lbs%29.+He+traveled+to+Altoona+to+compete+in+Wrestling+Districts+on+February+23%2C+2019.+%E2%80%9CIt+feels+so+good+to+place+first+knowing+my+family+and+girlfriend+were+in+the+stands+cheering+me+on+as+well+as+my+team+believing+in+me%2C%E2%80%9D+Urbas+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Cole Urbas on the podium after his first place finish in his weight class (195 lbs). He traveled to Altoona to compete in Wrestling Districts on February 23, 2019. “It feels so good to place first knowing my family and girlfriend were in the stands cheering me on as well as my team believing in me,” Urbas said.

Lauren Gaylor

Lauren Gaylor

Lauren Gaylor

Lauren Gaylor, Staff Writer

On February 23, 2019, the State College Area High School wrestling team traveled to Altoona to compete in this year’s district tournament. Those who placed in the top four spots per weight class advance to regionals on March 1-2 2019 for a chance to become the state champion.

11 out of 13 starters on the team were able to compete at Districts: Bailey Weaverling (sophomore, 106 lbs), Jude Swisher (freshmen, 113 lbs), Clayton Leidy (junior, 120 lbs), Owen Woolcott (sophomore, 126 lbs), Kyle Martin (sophomore, 132 lbs), Michael McShea (junior, 152 lbs), Tyler Price (sophomore, 160 lbs), Josiah Lose (junior, 170 lbs), Andrew McLaughlin (junior, 182 lbs), Cole Urbas (senior, 195 lbs), and Harrison Schoen (sophomore, 220 lbs).

Bailey Weaverling wrestled four matches against Bellefonte, Altoona, Hollidaysburg, and Central Mountain. Weaverling placed fourth in his weight class.

Jude Swisher wrestled two matches on Saturday. He had a BYE the first round, meaning he advanced to the next round without wrestling. He wrestled Hollidaysburg and Central Mountain. Swisher placed second in his weight class.

Clayton Leidy wrestled four matches against Altoona, Mifflin County, Greater Johnstown, and Altoona again. Leidy placed fifth in his weight class.

Owen Woolcott wrestled three matches against Juniata, Mifflin County, and Altoona. Woolcoot placed second in his weight class.

Kyle Martin wrestled four matches against Mifflin County, Juniata, Central Mountain, and Altoona. Martin placed sixth in his weight class.

Michael McShea wrestled two matches against Greater Johnstown and Bellefonte. McShea was not able to advance to the quarter/semifinals.

Tyler Price wrestled four matches against Central Mountain, Mifflin County, Greater Johnstown, and Bellefonte. Price placed third in his weight class.

Josiah Lose wrestled four matches against Hollidaysburg, Altoona, Juniata, and Central Mountain. Lose placed sixth in his weight class.

Andrew McLaughlin wrestled four matches against Mifflin County, Bellefonte, Altoona, and Central Mountain. McLaughlin placed third in his weight class.

Cole Urbas wrestled two matches on Saturday. He had a BYE the first round and wrestled Bellefonte and Central Mountain. Urbas placed first in his weight class.

Harrison Schoen wrestled four matches on Saturday. He had a BYE the second round and wrestled Central Mountain, Hollidaysburg, and Bellefonte. Schoen placed 6th in his weight class.

About the Contributor
Lauren Gaylor, Staff Writer

Hi, my name is Lauren Gaylor and I’m a junior at State High. In my free time, I enjoy writing and photography. I always try to make time for outside...