Is Having an Emotional Outlet Important?

Delaney Dixon, Staff Writer

Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. Whether it’s through drawing, writing, sports, singing, or acting, everyone uses an emotional outlet for their emotions. When three students from State High were asked how they expressed themselves they all explained their own techniques for dealing with stress.

Drawing has been proven to help de-stress people by distracting them from negative thoughts. Freshman Joseph McCardle, whose real name has been changed for privacy reasons, describes why she got into drawing. “Well, I mean, I was really sad in sixth grade and drawing was the only thing I really thought I was good at,” McCardle said. “It’s an outlet I can use to explain and get out emotions.”

Nearly eight out of ten kids suffer from depression because of built-up and confusing emotions. McCardle explained how drawing has helped her get out those confusing emotions and express them in the easiest way she can.

Like McCardle, freshman Brynn Bortree uses drawing as her emotional outlet. Bortree talked about her past and some difficult friendships she has had to cut off when asked of what things she has done to help cope.

“I had my parents a lot, they kinda talked me through a lot of it,” Bortree said. Using and talking to parents during rough times can really help some kids emotionally. Most kids don’t have a good way to express their emotions and start going off and acting out of line because of it, Bortree explained. “Find an outlet, it’s good to find an outlet to get your emotions out so that it doesn’t get all bottled up and then you explode onto somebody.”

Luke Seidenberg said that music and rugby are his own outlets and both play a big role in his own emotional health. Who he hangs out with he also takes note of because of how influential these people can be on his attitude. “I like hanging around like-minded people who not obviously have similar goals to me but who have the same positive outlook on life,” Seidenberg said. He talked about how having true friends can really help support kids his age in getting through rough topics, whether it’s family issues or school.

Everyone expresses themselves in different ways, some better than others. Whether a student does a sport or works with the arts, everyone has thier own outlets. McCardle uses drawing and writing, Bortree uses drawing and family, and Seidenberg uses friends and music. What is your outlet? How has that outlet helped you and/or how can it?