State High Swimming and Diving Secures Another District Championship

Photo courtesy of Kathryn Witt

During the District 6 Championships from March 27th to 29th, freshman Ty Uhlig competes in the boys’ 500 yard freestyle. Uhlig won his race, one of the many athletes who helped the swimming and diving team win the District Championships. “It feels good being a freshman and going to States. [Coach] Marion [Ulmer]’s training really helped me,” Uhlig said.

Sarah Ambrose, Staff Writer

A tradition of domination continued in the pool as the State High Swimming and Diving team won another District Championship; the girls team won every event, securing their 35th consecutive district title while the boys team won all but one event, picking up their 42nd district title in a row.

Diving took place at State High on February 27th, kicking off a record setting meet for the team. On the girls side, freshman Sam Hesser took first with a score of 283.70, setting a pool record. On the boys side, senior Marcus Wheeler came in first with a score of 446.45, also setting a pool record.

Swimming took place at the Penn State Natatorium from February 28th to 29th, continuing the success from the night before with 2 new school records and 6 meet records (the fastest a race has been swum at the District 6 Championships). In the girls’ 200 yard medley relay, freshman Jade Castro, sophomore Mackenzie Pagett, junior Maddy Koehle, and senior Abbey Whipple took first, setting a new meet record with a time of 1:47.35. Senior Matt Brownstead came in first in the boys’ 100 yard freestyle with a time of 43.82, breaking his own meet record. In the girls’ 500 yard freestyle, junior Colleen Adams came in first with a time of 5:01.93, breaking her own meet record and a 37-year-old school record. In the girls’ 100 yard backstroke, freshman Jade Castro swam a 56.14, setting her second meet record and a new school record. Sophomore Mackenzie Pagett won the girls’ 100 yard breaststroke with a time of 1:05.52, securing her second meet record. The record breaking weekend finished off with the girls’ 400 yard freestyle relay consisting of junior Megan Doucette, senior Abbey Whipple, freshman Jade Castro, and junior Colleen Adams breaking the meet record with a time of 3:35.11.

“It feels good being a freshman and going to States” Ty Uhlig, who had an upset victory in the boys’ 500 yard freestyle, said. “[Coach] Marion [Ulmer]’s training really helped me because she told us how to split up the race, when to speed up and when to slow down.”

For the winners of each event at Districts, the quest for a State title continues as the team travels to Bucknell University for the State Championships over spring break.