Penn State Football: Back in Action

(Photo courtesy of Abby Drey, Centre Daily Times)

Indiana Quarterback, Michael Penix Jr, reaches for a controversial touchdown of the game. After reviewing the play, the touchdown was accepted and Indiana won the game.

Jade Castro, Staff Writer

Penn State football faced off against Indiana University at Bloomington Saturday, Oct. 24, at 3:30 p.m. Penn State football is ranked at number 8 in the Association Press(AP )top 25 rankings, and they were tough competition for Indiana who is not on the list. With a final score of 35-36, the Indiana Hoosiers came out on top, and Penn State’s ranking in the AP poll fell to 18. The excitement in State College could not have been more alive in the past seven months than during those couple hours of watching the game. Even though they were defeated, the energy from even having a game was enough to put a smile on people’s faces. 

Heading into the fourth quarter Penn State was down 14-17. While they had the first touchdown of the game in the first quarter, Indiana came out strong in the second quarter scoring 17 points. At the end of the fourth quarter, both teams were tied, 28-28, but within the few minutes of overtime, Indiana scored eight points, just scraping ahead of Penn State, who scored seven points. 

Penn State had 488 rushing yards, the number of yards ran in a game,  while Indiana only had 211 yards. Despite the loss, Penn State fought until the very end. Sean Clifford, Penn State’s quarterback, had a strong performance, scoring three touchdowns and running a total of 238 yards. Those 238 yards were more yards than the entirety of Indiana’s team. He proved to be a very valuable player for Penn State. Looking at the Indiana Hoosiers, Michael Penix Jr., the Indiana quarterback, scored one touchdown and ran for 170 yards. Stevie Scott, a running back for Indiana, scored two more touchdowns for the Hoosiers. 

Although Penn State lost, the excitement of having a football season was still alive. Not only did fans have the opportunity to cheer their team on, but they had a reason to get together with family. State College residents are brimming with anticipation, excited for the next few games.

Athletes and fans all over the nation were upset about the initial cancellation of the season, but with the original statement being revoked, athletes and fans alike had a season to be excited for. Penn State football has been loved by people in State College since it began in 1887. Many State High students are major fans of the team and players. Sophomore Stephen Scourtis grew up around the game and could not explain his excitement when he learned BIG TEN football was happening. 

Being from State College, I’ve grown up around Penn State Football. For me, Saturday home games are full of tailgating and spending time with my family and friends. I’ve been lucky enough to attend a Whiteout game, and have looked forward to that game ever since,” Scourtis said. 

Although the opportunity to tailgate and attend the games was canceled, he watched the Penn State vs. Indiana Bloomington game at home surrounded by family. Scourtis, a member of the State High varsity football team, understands the athletes’ eagerness to play which makes him even more thrilled that Penn State gets to compete. 

Looking at the schedule of games, Penn State is supposed to play Ohio State on the night of Halloween. Ohio State is a well-known rival and was victorious last year at their game. However, Penn State hopes to finally defeat them on October 31st. Having lost their first game, their focus is set on defeating Ohio State on Saturday.