Claude Monet’s “Water Lilies” at the Met in NYC
Esmé Brandt
Categories:

Art Trip to the Met in NYC

On May 23, State High art students visited the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art) in New York City. After spending a lot of time creating art in the same environment, it’s easy to feel uninspired. Trips like this provide a refreshing change of scenery, offering a broader perspective on art, sparking creativity, and giving students a deeper appreciation of historical artworks.

After the four hour bus ride, students arrived in New York and went into the Met to start exploring. The Met offers many genres of art to see, from Ancient Egyptian Art to Modern Photography. Artworks by well known artists such as Monet, draw a lot of people into the museum. 

Junior Art Student Caroline Concepcion shared her favorite work by Monet. “My favorite piece of art that I saw at the Met on this trip was Monet’s‘Water Lilies’,” said Concepcion.

Monet’s “Water Lilies” from 1919 is one of the most enchanting pieces at the Met. It visualizes the beauty of Monet’s garden in Giverny, France, with its soft colors and reflections. They often remind viewers of the calming feeling of being in nature. 

Concepcion revealed how the painting made her feel. “It was incredible to see because of how famous and well known it is, the nature in the painting is so peaceful and made me feel calm” Concepcion said.

Just a few galleries away, another piece captivated students: Van Gogh’s “Roses”. 

Vincent Van Gogh’s “Roses” at the Met in NYC

Van Gogh’s “Roses” from 1890 is a striking artwork that gets a lot of attention at the Met. It captures Van Gogh’s distinct style of painting, and gives viewers perspective on the beauty of the little things in life, as the painting is just a simple vase of beautiful white roses. 

Junior Lily Corvin shared why she loves this painting.“Seeing Van Gogh’s ‘Roses’ in person for the first time was a special experience for me. I love the vibrant colors and brushstrokes in the paintings. I love the minimalist aspect to this piece, it allows for people to focus on the beauty of the flowers without any distractions” Corvin said. 

The details in these paintings call attention to the idea of how important it is to recognize and appreciate art worldwide. 

Concepcion shared that she thought art needs to be more recognized worldwide, and explained why. 

“Realizing all the art that exists in the world is important because it helps us understand different cultures and perspectives and it kind of allows us to see the world through someone else’s eyes which is a unique feeling,” Concepcion said. 

Corvin shared a similar idea, but with a different perspective. “I think it’s important to recognize all the art in the world because it shows how creative humans are; It shows a wide range of emotions and experiences,” Corvin said. 

As the State High art students concluded their visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, they left with an appreciation for the art that they saw. From Monet’s Water Lilies to Van Gogh’s Roses, each piece left a lasting impression. As students explained earlier, art not only showcases human creativity but also has the ability to bring people together. 

Donate to Lions' Digest
$195
$550
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of State College Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.