Categories:

A Look Into Fall Fashion at State High

Sophomore Margaret Searle’s pair of Doc Martens that she will be rocking this fall. 
Julia Noel

The fall season is exciting for State High students with events like Fall Fest, the mental health summits, and homecoming. This fall season also brings new fashion trends. Fashion can be really important to people, especially at this age. It’s a way for people to express themselves with creativity. With the seasons changing, fashion is changing. Fall brings out a new type of fashion in everyone. 

Blast From the Past

In the past, a lot of fashion trends have sprouted from the fall season and fall weather. For example, “Sweater Weather” is a term used to describe in fall when it’s cold, but not cold enough to wear a jacket, so people wear sweaters. It’s a fashion trend that originated in the 90’s and the term has been used over the years in the fall season.

Low-rise jeans have made a huge comeback in 2024. Low-rise jeans were very popular in the late 90s to early 2000s and also low-rise skinny jeans were popular in the early to mid-2010s. We are seeing them making a comeback in an ultra-baggy, low-rise, skater style.

I love, I love both low-rise and high-rise. Honestly, I feel like high-rise is very 2010s, but low-rise is very 2000s and I’m here for it,” junior Maggie Lutz said. 

Other examples include the surge of “autumn girl” clothes in the 2010s. Skinny jeans, UGG Boots, chunky scarves, and sweaters were very popular in the fall season in this era. 

I like layers in fall. I think scarves are cute, but only when they match. I also really like sweater vests for layering,” junior Teagan Chesnut said.  

Scarves and layers have had much influence even in 2024, as the UGG boots have made a comeback and are seeming to stay for the fall. 

A Look Ahead

Looking ahead into the fall fashion trends of 2024, new trends and styles have flushed out the trends of the summer.

Patterns and styles

“Country House Chic” is a trending option to include in your personal fall style. This style consists of lots of plaids, long skirts, long coats, tights, and lots of layers. This style often makes a comeback during fall for its patterns and warmth when days begin to get chillier. 

Another style that is coming back in a new, mature way, is denim on denim. This style has been in and out of fashion over the years, originating in the 80s when it first became popular. It most significantly made a comeback in the mid-2000s, often paired with low-rise jeans and a cropped jacket.

Like a lot of other loose-fitting pants in fashion right now, barrel jeans are rising in popularity. These jeans embrace a loose but bold silhouette. 

In the shoe department, UGGS are still in, as well as Doc Martens. Shoes that people may see this fall are chunky loafers, elegant flats, and high boots. 

“I think Uggs are lowkey cute. I like the short ankle-length ones, if they’re higher than that, probably not,” Chesnut said. 

Colors of Fall

Fall fashion has also been known for its unique color palette worn in this season. 

“I wear oranges, blacks, and greens,” Chesnut said. “Mostly earthy, kind of like browns and greens, and darker tones.”

A popular color that has been on the rise for fall is burgundy red. This color is predicted to be a big staple color this fall along with colors such as olive green, chocolate brown, and an assortment of grays and neutrals.

“I always kind of go more muted, so black, white, muted greens, like a muted red, and maybe a little bit of muted orange. That’s what I go for fall,” Lutz said. 

Overall, this fall is going to bring both new and old trends that should make many fashion lovers excited for the season.

$305
$550