Categories:

Girls Golf: Claire Dworsky Swings to the Top

Senior Claire Dworsky hits her approach shot into the fifth hole at the State High Girls Golf Home Match on Aug. 19.
Noah Radio

In the world of State High sports, few offer the poised yet competitive scene of golf. As the captain of the State High Girls Golf Team, senior Claire Dworsky has been a force to be reckoned with for the last four years, combining her talent, hard work and passion for the sport. 

Dworsky’s love for the sport began at a young age. Introduced to the game by her dad, she grew up in the world of golf. However, it wasn’t until later that she found her passion for the game. 

“My dad plays golf, and so from a very young age, he’s been trying and trying and trying to get me to play. And I never really picked it up until probably seventh or eighth grade, which is when I actually got sort of serious” Dworsky said. “I guess I just kind of inspired myself from then on.”

Throughout her career, Dworsky has steadily climbed the ranks to become one of the top girls golfers in the Mid-Penn Conference. Dworsky placed eighth in the Mid-Penn Championship on Oct. 2. She also recorded her personal record, an 84, this season. Dworsky looks back on this memory fondly.

“It was kind of crazy. I was kind of freaking out, because in my head I knew during my round, like, I knew how good I was playing. And so in my head I was like, Oh, my God[…], this is happening” Dworsky said. “[I had to] keep reminding myself to just, like, stay calm, just play golf. Just play golf, and it’ll be okay. And so I did, and it paid off.”

Dworsky is not just a role model on the course, but also a teammate and role model off the course. Her teammates admire her hard work, kindness and support. Senior Cecilia Keys commented on her relationship with Dworsky. 

“It’s really been nice, as I’m kind of getting a little bit more into [golf], just kind of having her there as a leader and a mentor,” Keys said. “[It’s great] having that kind of relationship where it’s like, hey, I saw you were doing this and just kind of pointing out the little things and helping each other grow.”

Assistant Girls Golf Coach Corey Hunter has been coaching the girls golf team for the past four years. Throughout his coaching career, Hunter has seen many strong student-athletes over the years, including Dworsky. 

“I’ve seen her grow through four years, and she’s really come along. Especially during the summer months, when we’re not in season, she really works hard,” Hunter said. “I’m really proud of her.” 

While golf is mostly an individual sport, being a good teammate is still extremely important. Throughout the season, the girls golf team has not always had enough placers at every match to compete as a team. The low numbers and uncertainty have made the season feel different from other years and has made it hard to completely bond as a team. Sophomore Elizabeth Bastis notes that even when the girls don’t compete as a team, it’s still important to support each other. 

“It’s good to have people around you that you enjoy being around, and that support you and only bring you up instead of bringing you down, and we all give each other tips and stuff. So it’s a good environment,” Bastis said. She is very grateful to have an encouraging team for her first time playing a high school sport. 

Dworsky’s remarkable high school career demonstrates her leadership, talent and hard work. As she continues to grow and develop as a golfer and a teammate, Dworsky inspires her teammates and coaches along the way. State High is fortunate to have her representing the girls golf team, and with every shot she solidifies her place as one of the most valuable players in the history of the program. 

To follow along with the State High Girls Golf Team and learn how to get involved, visit their SCASD website here

Donate to Lions' Digest
$305
$550
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of State College Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.