Categories:

The Superiority of the Fall Season

A bright orange pumpkin sits below a pot of glowing yellow mums to create the ideal surrounding for the fall season.
Pumpkins and mums are an ideal decoration for the fall season.
Meredith Sobolewski

This year, the season of brightly colored leaves and cooling temperatures began on Sep. 22. The autumnal equinox typically falls between Sept. 21 and 24. Embracing this exquisite time of the year has many positive aspects, whether it’s food, festivals, weather, fashion, or the other various activities taking place.

Fall enthusiasts embrace the beautiful season each year in many exciting ways. The entire aesthetic creates a calming environment, a time of cozy clothes, as well as the many apple-scented and pumpkin-flavored items and food. Freshman Eliza Bowman expressed her love and excitement for the season.

“My favorite thing about fall is the spooky season, making pumpkin pies and seeing all the leaves change and how pretty it is outside,” Bowman said. “I really want to go to a fall festival and go for a fall hike in the mountains, to really embrace the fall weather and the pretty leaves and everything outside.”

With the chilling breezes and frosty mornings, the year calls for a change in attire. Comfy outfits are ready for use. “I love wearing sweaters, leggings, jeans, Uggs, […] so I love fall for that reason,” Bowman said.

Freshman Abigail Prinkey also loves the crisp weather and stunning scenery. “I live in the middle of the woods, and I have a black lab dog, so walking him […] with the leaves falling is absolutely beautiful,” she said.

Food also plays a big role during the autumn season, with holidays such as Halloween and Thanksgiving. Many restaurants or coffee shops will also release a specialty line of food or drink, such as Bowman’s favorite from Starbucks. “Pumpkin spice latte, I know it’s so basic but I love it. And then apple pie, and warm cookies,” Bowman said.

“Specifically for fall […] candied apples, and apple pie. My mom makes delicious pies,” Prinkey said.

Autumn also holds a special kind of weather only seen a few months a year, which is something to look forward to for many. “I feel like a morning that’s sort of cloudy and foggy, maybe raining, and then by the afternoon, it’s sunny, but it’s still cool,” Bowman said, describing her perfect fall day.

Given that Halloween is a major part of fall, it also adds to the anticipation. There are many activities to take part in and festivals to visit. Picking and carving pumpkins is a common tradition for many as Oct. 31 approaches.

Local State College sites host pumpkin carving contents that take place annually. The Penn State Arboretum contest is a main attraction for many. “I try to go every year,” Prinkey said.

Fall is unquestionably one of the most beautiful seasons in Pennsylvania. Through the embracement of these times, State College locals can enjoy exquisite scenery, delicious festive food, cooling temperatures, and comfortable fashion, proving the superiority of the fall season.

$305
$550