Categories:

The Hype of Homecoming

Is it Worth it?
Homecoming Week theme poster at State High. The themes are:
Monday: Maroon and Gray 
Tuesday: Glitter Day
Wednesday: Unity Day (Wear Orange) 
Thursday: Jersey Day
Friday: White Out
Homecoming Week theme poster at State High. The themes are: Monday: Maroon and Gray Tuesday: Glitter Day Wednesday: Unity Day (Wear Orange) Thursday: Jersey Day Friday: White Out
Sarah Williams

On Oct. 19, State High students will take to the dance floor for their annual homecoming. But that’s only part of the homecoming week — students also participate in various festive activities leading up to the dance. The festivities begin Oct. 17, when student clubs, sports teams, and businesses parade through town in the homecoming parade. The following day, on Oct. 18, the State High football team takes to the field for the Homecoming game. 

Out of the many homecoming activities, students debate which is the best. The answer varies, some would say the Homecoming dance takes the cake. Others would say the dance isn’t what makes it special: more so general build-up and activities around the dance make it an experience not like any other. Whether it be getting with friends, going out for dinner, or picking out an outfit, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

Sophomore Francesca Rhoades shared her favorite part of the week.

“Definitely the football game, because at the football game, you can socialize with a lot of people and then watch the homecoming game,” Rhoades said.

Not only is there something for everybody to enjoy at the dance, but it is also an event that many students at State High can attend. Grades freshmen through seniors come together to brighten the school comradery between different classes.

“In my opinion, the dance is the most important aspect of Homecoming because it’s the aspect in which every student can participate,” junior Thomas Marshall said. 

For seniors, the Homecoming court is another feature that adds to the school culture. During the football game, the nominated court couples take to the field, where the winning couple — Homecoming King and Queen — are announced. However, in 2024, some students question the relevance of the Homecoming court. 

“I think it was definitely relevant in the past, it still is just at our school it is just not talked enough about to be super relevant,” Rhoades said.

Other students disagreed about the relevance of the Homecoming court. “I don’t believe that Homecoming court is still relevant, however, I do think it does help promote the overall high school experience and boosts a sense of community when people can vote for their friends for homecoming court,” Marshall said. 

While Homecoming court might not be at the forefront of everybody’s minds, many students still believe that it is essential to school spirit. It gives students the ability to recognize and congratulate their peers that they either look up to or think deserve to be represented before they graduate. But in modern-day culture, conversation arises if the Homecoming court should still exist. For many students, it probably is a topic that doesn’t raise any concern or interest. But for an activity that is as old as time, is there even a point in taking it away from students? 

While Homecoming is a time for everybody to enjoy, that doesn’t mean there isn’t added stress and pressure to the event. Some pressures might come from the weight of picking out the perfect outfit, and even then when students find the perfect outfit, it comes down to if it even comes in on time. Research shows that students should plan on ordering their homecoming dresses right when they get back to school from summer break. This further raises the question of whether homecoming is worth all of this stress.

Regardless if students are into Homecoming or not, the festivities seem to be right around the corner. Hopefully, students will be ready to walk in the parade, take to the field, or dance the night away. 

Donate to Lions' Digest
$305
$550
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of State College Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.