State High Softball Finishes the Regular Season Strong

The State High Softball team at the home game against Central Dauphin on May 17, 2022

Kathryn Roseberry, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, May 17th, the State High Softball team competed against Central Dauphin at Community Field for their final home game of the season and won with a final score of 9-5.

The first inning started off slow, with Central Dauphin scoring the first 2 runs. By the end of the second inning, the game sped up and State High scored 3 runs. Central Dauphin got ahead again in the 3rd inning, and during the 4th inning State High scored more runs and the game was tied at the beginning of the 5th inning.

“I’m super proud of the way that we were able to come together and play as a team as quickly as we did,” Meredith Meengs, junior, said, reflecting on this year’s season overall. Meegs also commented on the team’s ability to work together and play at their best. “Our ability to pick each other up and show patience with each other is how we win games.”

With several seniors being at the end of their high school careers, the team will have new players next year. The new players will need to make new ways of working and communicating with each other. 

“Having the seniors step up as leaders and the underclassmen really fill in their roles on varsity without hesitation, is really what helped us to be successful from the get go,” Zia Bodnar, senior, remarked. “I think they need to make sure that they play as a group and not as individuals right from the start of the season,” Bodnar stated of next year’s team.

Seniors moving on often means losses for the team, but come next season, team members believe that there will be new strengths and friendships within the team.

“We won’t have the special group of seniors that we have this year, but I know that our team shows a lot of promise with the coaching staff and genuity of bond we have all created with one another,” Meengs said.

The team is continuing their season early in the summer months, hoping to win the State Championship.