Skywalker Saga: A Trip Through Memory Lane

Gyasi Franklin, Staff Writer

(Theed Waterfront, mission one) photo provided by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

“Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga” is a box set of all nine prominent Star Wars films as games released in 2020. The set includes the original trilogy (Episodes IV-VI), the prequel trilogy (Episodes I-III), and the sequel trilogy (Episodes VII-IX), which were released between 1977 and 2019.

The films in the set follow the story of the Skywalker family, a group of powerful Jedi knights, and their battle against the evil empire and its leader, Darth Vader. There will be spoilers, for those who have not seen the films or played the game.

The game was released on Oct. 20, 2022, for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, and Nintendo Switch. It received mostly positive reviews from critics, who praised its expansive open-world structure and fun, family-friendly gameplay. It quickly became a bestseller and a fan favorite among fans of the Star Wars franchise.

Another appeal of The Skywalker Saga is the wide range of bonus content included in the set. In addition to the nine prominent films, the set includes several unique features, including deleted scenes, interviews with the cast and crew, and behind-the-scenes footage. These bonus features gave fans a deeper insight into the making of the films and provide a wealth of additional material to enjoy.

Overall, “Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga” is a must-have for fans of the Star Wars franchise. The complete collection of films and the wealth of bonus content make it a definitive release that offers hours of entertainment and enjoyment.

One of the reasons why ” The Skywalker Saga” is such a particular release is because it allows fans to experience the entire Star Wars saga in one complete collection. The films in the set are presented in chronological order, so players can follow the story of the Skywalkers from beginning to end.

A fan favorite of all the episodes would be number three: the empire strikes back. Obi-wan and Anakin’s dynamic is superb in the film, and the game gives viewers a hefty amount of nostalgia. However, it is goofy compared to the films. Nevertheless, it has some of the game’s best humor, dialogue, and fights.

Players control Lego versions of their favorite Star Wars characters in the game as they explore iconic locations, solve puzzles, and battle enemies using the series’ signature “brick-based” combat system. In addition, the game features a unique, open-world structure that allows players to explore the galaxy and visit planets in any order they choose, as well as various gameplay modes, including space battles and racing challenges.

One of the game’s key features is its co-op multiplayer mode, which allows multiple (up to two) players to team up and play through the story together. This mode will enable players to experience the Star Wars saga from multiple perspectives and see how their actions and decisions affect the story’s outcome.

Aidan Clarke, an eleventh-grade student, had bought the game and played through half of it. “I liked the one where when they freed Han Solo from the carbonite and then they had to fight Boba Fett at the end,” Clarke said.

When asked about his favorite overarching episode, “I liked the originals, like the new hope through empire strikes back,” Clarke said. The originals begin before the new trilogy with Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren. “I liked it, it was kind of confusing though; I liked how simple the original games were so I would rate the Skywalker Saga a 7/10,” Clarke added.

Clarke’s final note was, “It wasn’t worth the $60, but I still enjoyed it.”

I agree with Clarke; while the game is entertaining and well-developed, it is meant for younger gamers with its humor and simple puzzles. Nevertheless, neither Clarke nor my opinion can take away the genius behind this game, which is popular with younger audiences.

Another SCAHS junior, Ian Marshall, had also bought the game while admittedly not finishing it the whole way through. “Okay the mission I liked the most was the pod racer mission because I always wanted to do it as a kid and it finally let me do that.”
When asked about his favorites, “My favorite character in Star Wars is either Mace Windu or Darth Vader/Anakin,”

Identical to Clarke, Marshall rated the game a 7/10. Across the board, the game seems to be less popular with older gamers, but even so, they have acknowledged this game’s many strengths throughout the playthrough. This game was a dose of nostalgia and a trip down memory lane, all in all, the Skywalker Saga is a great game that you should add to your list of things to play.