Earth Day needs to have more focus

Ella Tambroni, Staff Writer

Driving through some of the State Colleges Nature and a sunset. Photo Courtesy by Ella Tambroni.

Earth Day is an annual celebration that honors the achievements of the environmental movement and raises awareness to protect our environment. Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 and is celebrated across the world. 

Today, the Earth Day Network brings together more than 20,000 partners and organizations in 190 countries. The Earth Day Network is a network to broaden, diversify, and mobilize the environmental movement worldwide.  Earth Day is not overlooked, but in State High it is, and there needs to be more focus on this day. Earth Day is about awareness of our environmental impact and advocating for protecting our diverse planet. 

Last Year, 2022, Earth Day was hardly mentioned by the teachers and faculty.  Earth Day was pushed aside by students and the school as a whole. As a whole, our school needs to protect our environment and raise awareness for this critical topic.

Sophomore, Victoria Castano shared her beliefs on Earth Day: 

“It’s important because there’s only one earth and everyone should take care of it. In addition, it’s the place where we are every day, and more awareness should be spread about why it’s important to take care of it by commemorating it and highlighting it with earth day.” 

Earth Day is not only important to celebrate the earth, but it is to broaden the meaning of the environment. This includes issues such as climate change, green schools, and even renewable energy. Our action or inaction on climate change dictates the future of our planet; it is essential to raise awareness so people can act up. There needs to be a show of opportunities to change for human contribution.

For SCAHS, there could be a careful approach to awareness to show why Earth Day is important. Annika Bechtel, a sophomore from SCAHS, shared her opinions on earth day and how SCAHS should do more. 

“I think SCAHS should do more about Earth Day since last year, and in many previous years, we have done nothing about it. Even planting small plants as a school, or making sure we don’t litter or waste food can make anything just 1% better.” 

Other ways the school can celebrate Earth Day include: 

• Hanging up posters to spread awareness 
  • Planting greens 
  • Having a clean-up event to clean up the roads and nature

SCAHS needs to show how Earth Day can affect our lives, through small actions. 

State High sophomore Scott Pantall believes it’s crucial we take care of our planet “It is important to keep our earth clean because we are going to be here for a long time,” Pantall said.

Students need to be involved with this movement together and need to be informed. Our environment keeps us alive, and with that, we need to keep it clean. 

At the moment, SCAHS isn’t doing enough, but there is room for improvement that can happen this year. The SCAHS Environmental Club is throwing an awareness project to spread information about Earth Day. With this, SCAHS needs to come together and celebrate this incredible movement.