Senioritis: Is There a Cure?

Olivia Graham

Seniors Jenna Jordan (left) and Mazzy Tomich (right) struggling to work through assignments.

Olivia Graham, Staff Writer

The end of the school year is difficult for everyone, and it is no different for high school seniors. Every school bell intending to signify a class change only serves as another reminder of summer; an escape from the invasion of school and homework in a high schooler’s life. While underclassmen might dread upcoming assignments, the impact of the final semester for seniors can only be defined by one term: “senioritis.”

As Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines the word, senioritis is “an ebbing of motivation and effort by school seniors as evidenced by tardiness, absences, and lower grades.” The lack of incentive for schoolwork composes seniors in a symphony of irritation at the thought of incoming assignments and exams. Despite what many might assume, we aren’t using the term as a bridge between laziness and high school.

While seniors remain passionate about grades, it is difficult to overcome the challenging last few weeks of high school.

As the end of the school year approaches, senior Seth Jones discusses senioritis. “Senioritis sparks from burnout and general tiredness, along with a lack of motivation,” Jones said. 

Jones has also experienced falling victim to senioritis, claiming he feels overwhelmed with assignments. However, he understands the importance of the end of the school year for seniors, as completing schoolwork will prepare students for future expectations. 

To combat the overwhelming lack of motivation, Jones said, “students deserve a break,” adding that, “seniors can slack off for the last few weeks to take away some stress.”

Another senior at State High, Madison Fry, has also caught herself anticipating the future while an overflow of homework invades her life. “It’s a challenge to stay fully engaged and do high-quality work in class,” Fry said. 

Despite this, Fry also understands that senioritis should be controlled. “By combatting senioritis, we can be mentally tough as the school year is winding down,” she said.

It is difficult to say there is a cure for senioritis. However, with advice from these students at State High, seniors can finish off the school year strong. While there may not be a definite way to cure senioritis, it helps to know that there are other seniors feeling the same way. Seniors, you are not alone.