Ice Hockey Team Defeats Greater Johnstown in Home Opener

Sam Jacobs faces off against Greater Johnstown.
Joslyn Corvin

State College Boys Ice Hockey took an easy win on their own ice for the first time this season with a score of 13-1 against Greater Johnstown. The team remains undefeated with a streak of 3-0 and they’re just getting started.

Though Greater Johnstown struck first, the Little Lions, captained by senior Sam Jacobs, took a 2-1 lead with just over six minutes left in the first period.

While the centers and wingers fought to score goals, senior goalie and alternate captain, Carter Fozard, blocked countless shots from the Johnstown attack. Fozard gave a perspective on his position.

State High huddle (Corvin)

“I just try to be kind of the quarterback, leading the plays ‘cause I can see the whole ice and no one else can,” Fozard said.

After a power play goal, State College was up 3-1. The Little Lions kept up the attack throughout the game and did not let Greater Johnstown truly threaten again. At the end of the first period, State College held a resounding 6-1 lead.  Senior Tyson Schrenk led the way offensively with a hat trick. 

Despite this game being not much of a challenge, the team reflected on what is to come this season.  “I’m excited for playoffs. I’m excited to play our rival, Hollidaysburg, to see how we do against them after winning the Chip last year,” Fozard said.

The upcoming game against Hollidaysburg will take place Dec. 7, back at home at Pegula Ice Arena.

“I love the atmosphere here, especially on varsity, it’s great having everybody here to support [us],” Fozard said. Carter Fozard, Goalie. (Macie)
Jacobs encourages more peers to attend upcoming games, “I think it’s a very exciting sport to watch. There is a lot of action going on, it never stops, so if they wanna show up, be loud and just enjoy the game.”

There were not many students attending this game, but those who did formed their own student section to support their team. Senior IB student Mayra Briggs was one in attendance. 

“I definitely think it would be really fun if there was more school support because honestly, hockey is a really action packed sport and I think a lot of State High students would enjoy that,” Briggs explained.

Captain, Sam Jacobs, in action on the ice. (Joslyn)

With or without support, the team looks forward to future successes this season. Senior alternate captain, Braylan Covol, spoke for the team when he said, “I’m excited to win again.”

The boys, their coaches, and families were all thrilled to emerge from this game with another win. The Little Lions are back in action in the aforementioned game against Hollidaysburg on Dec. 7, at Pegula Ice Arena.