Stanley Cups at Dicks Sporting Goods. Photo by Shiva Vahmani.
Shiva Vahmani

The Rise of Stanley Cups.

It is incredibly obvious that there’s a trend going on at State High: the spread of Stanley cups. This trend has been spreading through America at a rapid pace, as well as videos of people rushing and running over each other to get ahold of one. What do people without Stanley cups think of this slightly unconventional water bottle? And why do people with Stanley Cups have them in the first place?

“[…] They’re just a good functioning water bottle,” Sophomore Allison Foor stated. Although almost any water bottle would fit that category, Foor pointed out the main distinguishing feature between Stanley cups and other water bottles, their size and ability to keep drinks cool.

“[…]I  wanted my water to be cold, and I needed one that was heavy, so I couldn’t lose it like my old one,” Foor said. The Stanley cup’s bold build and weight make it virtually impossible to lose. Additionally, having cold water seems to be a wanted quality in water bottles. Stanley Cup owner Josie Panetta said “[…] Water isn’t good if it’s not cold.”

Stanley cups fit most teenagers’ hydration needs, Stanleys keep drinks at the same temperature for up to 12 hours, according to the Stanley website. Hydro Flasks and Yeti’s are other popular brands that keep drinks cool, and they’re not as weird looking to hold because there’s no comically large handle, unlike Stanleys.

But to some people, $45 isn’t worth it for a 40-ounce water bottle. To sophomore Olivia Jackson, the price of Stanley cups is “Actually like psychotic, it’s insane.”

Sophomore Gabe Gamson shared the same opinion, stating that he thinks it’s a scam.

It’s not new to see products as basic as a water bottle extremely overpriced simply because of the brand name, take Brandy Melville, Zara, Balenciaga, and most popular brands out there as an example. This shouldn’t happen, people should stop wasting their money on unnecessary products, and giving into mindless trend hopping. 

Although Stanley cups are decent water bottles, they’re much too big to bring anywhere casually, let alone school. Many think that Stanley cups are a cute accessory, including Panetta and Foor. But, Jackson stated that she remembers Stanley cups being the trademark ‘soccer mom’ water bottle.

“I feel like I’ve always seen them as like a mom thing. When I was little I would think of soccer moms at their little kids’ games, all with their Stanley cups, watching and stuff in their lawn chairs,” Jackson said.

It’s odd how many people have Stanley cups considering they were made fun of just a few years ago. Gamson stated that he found out about Stanley cups through many TikTok making fun of the cups.

Stanley cups are a trend that will pass soon enough, and frankly, it’s absurd how fast so many people immediately reached for their wallets the second they found out that Stanley cups were trending. The herds of grown women pushing each other to reach one of the few special editions of Valentine’s Day Stanleys placed on shelves at Target and other stores, looks like something straight out of a dystopian film. 

The sudden spike in Stanley Cup sales can be very confusing to some, and reasonable to others, with Stanely making slightly less than $400 million dollars in sales in this past year.