Is Spring Break Even A Break?

The Ideal of Spring Break
The Ideal of Spring Break
Max Limric

It’s finally the month of March and you know what that means: Spring Break! The first full week of March is what us students have all been looking forward to. This week is for traveling or staying home to relax and get a beneficial break from school. However, shouldn’t a break mean no school work? 

Usually, March is the time students start to realize we are getting closer to the end of the school year because the amount of school work increases. Exams, finals, and even sporting events start to approach this time of year which can increase students’ stress and anxiety. The week of spring break should be stress free to either catch up on missing work or mentally prepare for the high level of school work coming ahead.

Sophomore Dylan Briggs said, “The tests I did this week were hard and stressful. Since I was getting stressed about my tests, it negatively affected my grade.” With this, not just people’s overall grades, but their overall mental health can be affected. 

“I had four tests the week before break and on top of that I had missing work over break,” sophomore Paige Adams said.

When we come back from spring break, the end of the third marking period is really close. Teachers want to cram in those tests last minute before break to help students “remember” the information. Have it “fresh in our brains” so we do not completely forget about it over the break. I can understand how necessary it is to have those grades in for teachers, but students also have the addition of missing work. Do students agree with these teachers?

Sophomore Eli Frank said, “Having tests before break is sort of a relief to me since I don’t have to worry about studying over break.” 

Overall, the students at State High have mixed feelings about the idea of tests before break. Students’ mental health seemed to be more affected than a regular school week. Having that one week to relax and forget about school work for a bit can decrease that stress. When planning for future breaks, teachers may want to consider how the amount of work may affect students mentally and emotionally.