Categories:

State High Mini-THON Completes Its Journey, Raising $42,768.18

State High raised a total of $42,768.18.
Saige Adair

Since 2017, State High has held a Mini-THON event for students to help participate, promote awareness, and raise money to help kids and their families who are impacted by pediatric cancer. This year, Mini-THON was held from April 5 to April 6. Mini-THON takes place inside the North Gym at State High. It involved 12 hours of no sitting and dancing with friends, interactive group games, and hanging out with people supporting the cause.

The club has expanded outside just the Mini-THON event by events like bake sales, car washes, etc. They raise money throughout the year, to donate to the Four Diamonds Fund to help children with cancer at the Penn State Hershey Children’s Hospital. 

Junior, Emma Hildebrand shared why she spent her time volunteering for Mini-THON. “I think volunteering for Mini-THON is important because you raise money for those with childhood cancer” She also stated that her favorite part of Mini-THON was the people.

This year, Mini-THON set a new fundraising record of $42,768.18 which is over $10,000 from last years’ total of $30,522.39. 176 students stepped up to volunteer this year, compared to last years’ 110 students.

Jordyn Wilson, a sophomore who volunteered, mentioned the different activities included during the event. “I thought it was really cool how there were bracelets you were able to make and you were also able to dance which I thought was a fun time,” Wilson said. 

Sophomore Sam Asencio shared why she volunteered. “I volunteered my time for FTK, For All the Kids.” FTK, is the Four Diamonds’, childhood cancer organization, For All the Kids. Four Diamonds uses four words: courage, wisdom, honesty, and strength to emphasize their symbolic mission towards the fight against pediatric cancer. 

Every year, the club also creates a logo and theme for their event. This year, the 2024 Mini-THON logo was a hot air balloons pictured with the slogan, “Join the Journey.” T-shirts were given to individuals that volunteered, to be worn during the event. 

Mini-THON may not be as big and large as Penn State’s THON, however, it still makes an impact through its fundraising efforts. THON supports the lives of children and families affected by childhood cancer. 

$305
$550