Categories:

Susan Hipp: Get to Know State High’s New Assistant Principal

Susan Hipp stands in front of State High, ready to embrace her new role as assistant principal and make a lasting impact on students. | Courtesy of Nabil K. Mark

There’s a new face at State High. You might have seen her hanging around the snack bar in the mornings or during lunches. Maybe you’ve seen her walking around the school throughout the day, getting to know students and staff. Or perhaps you had her as a teacher in elementary school years ago. Her name is Susan Hipp, and she’s State High’s newest assistant principal.

After nearly 30 years of teaching at the elementary level, Hipp (who most recently taught 5th Grade at Mount Nittany Elementary) was named assistant principal in June 2024. Hipp will be leading 10th, 11th, and 12th graders with last names A through HO, and is succeeding Jackie Saylor, who now serves as Assistant Director of K-12 Curriculum for SCASD.

Coming Full Circle at State High

For Hipp, the assistant principal position is both a dream come true and the culmination of many years of hard work.

“I’ve always wanted to be an administrator,” she said. 

After earning her Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education and a Master of Education degree in Curriculum and Supervision at Penn State, Hipp settled into her role as an elementary school teacher while raising her two sons, Andrew and Frankie. Now, with her sons past high school, Hipp had more time for herself, and decided it was time to make the jump.

However, while Hipp is new to the assistant principal position, she certainly isn’t new to State High — in fact, she’s a graduate. 

I was on the first [State High cheerleading] squad that made it to Nationals. This building…wasn’t here when I went to school, and none of the teachers I had are still here,” she said. “But it’s just a really cool thing…to know that I graduated here, came back, and am helping other students get to that point too!

Hipp taught 2nd, 4th and 5th grade at Mount Nittany Elementary from the school’s opening in 2011 until her hiring as assistant principal in 2024. | Nate Tranell

A Fresh Perspective

After two decades teaching 4th grade, along with four years each in 2nd and 5th grade, Hipp approached State High with a unique and fresh outlook. 

It’s nice to have somebody with a new perspective that wasn’t working in the building,” Assistant Principal Ryan Walsh said of Hipp.

Hipp’s years at the elementary level also gave her a solid foundation in understanding the unique developmental needs of students—especially when it comes to supporting them academically, socially, and emotionally. This foundation allows her to bring a personalized approach to her new role at the high school level, where she aims to maintain the same level of care for older students.

I think what I’ve learned is how important it is for a child or student to have a voice and [for a teacher] to hear what they have to say,” she said. “I strive to be an advocate for my students like I would for my own children. I’m here to help you succeed, right?” 

That outlook on teaching is following Hipp into her role as assistant principal, where she’s actually getting to see former students she advocated for succeed.

I talked to one of the students last week,” Hipp said. “The first thing the student said to me was, ‘Do you remember how I struggled in math? Well, I’m doing this now and I’m getting these grades, and I’m actually understanding it now!” For every teacher, to see a student grow, succeed, and feel joy while doing so is the ultimate goal— Hipp included. 

As assistant principal, Hipp aims to help State High foster an environment where students feel safe to express themselves and seek help. 

My philosophy centers around fostering an inclusive, supportive, student-centered environment,” she said. 

Hipp also strives to create meaningful relationships with students that inspire their growth as human beings and learners.

“I want students to feel that I’m not just a disciplinarian,” she said. I want them to see me as someone who cares about them.

State High’s administration team poses in front of State High’s back office (from left to right, Susan Hipp, Brett Wilson, Laura Tobias, Danielle Ambrosia, and Mark Walsh). | Courtesy of Nabil K. Mark

Part of a Dream Team

The role of assistant principal is a crucial position within State High’s educational ecosystem. Whether assisting Principal Laura Tobias in the overall management of the school building, or supervising and aiding the student body and staff, an assistant principal needs to be able to adapt and work well with others.

It’s going to different things and putting out fires and dealing with students…[and] teacher concerns. You wear a lot of hats in the position,” Walsh said. “It’s…making sure that everybody has what they need at any moment, and if they don’t, pitching in and helping them out.

With four weeks of actual in-session school experience under her belt, Hipp is adapting well to her new position. 

She’s been gung ho…[meeting] the students on her caseload…[and] building those relationships, Walsh said.

It’s not just the students and staff that are building strong relationships—the administration team is as well. 

We are with each other every morning, checking in, and we lend a helping hand when we need to. It’s a very tight-knit, very amazing, very strong team,” Hipp said.

While overseeing her caseload of students (A-HO) within 10th-12th grade, Hipp also works closely with Secretary Rachelle Coffey and Counselors Maddie Titus and Tanya Anderson. 

For Hipp, being part of both the dynamic administration team and her caseload squad are both privileges and key to achieving success as an assistant principal. The collaboration within their groups ensures both students and staff get the support they need, and Hipp is eager to contribute to a culture of care and success within State High as she works with them.

Leader, Listener, and Sports Fanatic, at Your Service

Outside of her role as assistant principal, Hipp wants State High students to know about her as a person. 

When she’s not in school, she could be exercising, biking, eating pizza, or enjoying time with family, friends, and her spoiled three-year-old boxer, Rocco. But most important of all her passions? 

I love sports. I’m a sports fanatic. Anything Pittsburgh,” she said. “Sidney Crosby is my favorite all-time athlete.” 

With her passion for student advocacy and the dynamic environment at State High, Hipp’s main goal for the 2024-25 school year is to connect more with students.

Hipp encourages students to reach out and introduce themselves. 

They can talk to me about anything—good, bad, ugly, pretty, I don’t care. My door is open,” she said.

As she continues her journey at State High, Hipp hopes to leave a lasting impression that goes beyond academics.

“I just want to be remembered as a person who saw them…that I took an interest in them, not so much their academics, but also their personal life,” she said. “I just want them to remember me with a smile.

$305
$550