Categories:

Preparing for the PSATs

This is the website where you will take the PSATs
Ryan Pencek

The PSATs are a practice test to help prepare students for SATs in the future. The test will take place Oct. 9 and students will be tested in english and math. For 11th-grade students, the PSATs are even more important because they are part of a pathway to a scholarship. 

The test is important because it helps prepare students for standardized tests and if they are sitting for the SAT in the future. More importantly, the PSAT for 11th graders is the National Merit Qualifying Test which can qualify you for national recognition and scholarships,” school counselor Hannah Catalano said via email.

All students 9-11 grade are registered to take the test unless they opt out. Instructional technology coach Jennifer Scudder explained how the test works. “Everyone has the opportunity to take it, they don’t have to take it but everybody has the opportunity to take it, and the school district pays for it,” Scudder said.  

The PSATs were moved online last year. Catalano explained why schools had to make this change.

“The PSAT changed to online to get students familiar with the SAT, which is also digital. This digital test was made to be more accessible to students. Before this, the PSAT was pencil/paper, which took longer to score. Moving the test online has allowed scores to come back more quickly and efficiently. It does not take as much help from the school end and materials are not as easy to get lost,” Catalano said via email. 

The PSATs are different from other standardized tests because they focus on reading, writing, and math all in one day, while other tests split it up into multiple days. “Compared to MAP testing there are more questions, this test is broken up into modules, there’s two modules for the reading section and the math section,” Scudder said.

Some students like the new change, however, others want the pen and paper back. Catalano described how students felt about the change.

“I feel that some students did like the setup of paper/pencil tests. I think that for the most part students are okay with the digital test. They are familiar with technology from using their Chromebooks all the time and their standardized tests are mainly proctored in the digital model such as the Keystones,” Catalano said via email. 

On the day of the test, students should come with a charged Chromebook and a charger, a pencil, and their photo ID. Students can also prepare by studying ahead of the test. 

“There are a lot of good ways to prepare for the test. There are resources online through the College Board and there are free booklets and online platforms where you can take practice tests. Some students will work with a SAT prep book, or even have a tutor in the community,” Catalano said.

$305
$550