Categories:

State High Clubs Join Forces to Empower Young Voters

Members sitting at the voter registration booth in the hub during lunch to encourage State High students to register for the upcoming presidential election.
Members sitting at the voter registration booth in the hub during lunch to encourage State High students to register for the upcoming presidential election. Photo courtesy of Ashley Corvin.

From Oct. 7 to Oct. 18, eligible students had the opportunity to register to vote in the upcoming 2024 presidential election. The booth, organized and run by Key Club, Student Government, and Model UN, was in the hub during lunch periods. The goal of the table was to facilitate student registration by providing the necessary help and information.

Grace Jun, the treasurer of Key Club, explained the importance of the event. “ I just think having an opportunity at school and encouraging other people who may not have been planning about it or like thinking about it is a really helpful thing,” Jun said.

Members of the clubs created a welcoming table to encourage potential voters for the Nov. 5 election. They provided voting pins, stickers, and bracelets. They placed posters around the school with motivating messages about the importance of voting. Additionally, members of the clubs gave students support and guidance in completing the required forms for registering. Registering to vote may seem complicated and overwhelming to a new voter, but club members simplified the process.

In addition to helping students register to vote, the table also contributed to State High’s goal of meeting the Governor Civic Engagement Award, which is presented by the Pennsylvania Departments of State and Education to increase civic participation in high schools. The table was also supported by local groups in our community, like the League of Women Voters, a group that aims to increase voter participation and turnout while remaining nonpartisan.

“We’re trying to get as many eligible 18-year-olds and also US citizens for our school to register to vote. Because not only, like, it’s important to like, have your voice matter, but also we’re trying to go for this Governor’s Civic Engagement award for our school,” Key Club vice president Marie Meredith said.“So basically, you have to get 85% of eligible students registered.

To be eligible to cast a vote on Nov. 5, students must be a US citizen, 18 years of age, or will be 18 on or before election day, and a current resident of PA for at least 30 days prior to election day.

Jun described the motivation behind the student-led booth.

“I definitely think [the registration drive is] a good strategy because a lot of times we want to, like, do what our friends do, and it’s definitely more effective than just having teachers tell kids or something like that,” Jun said.

The highly anticipated election could be decided by the younger generation, so developing voting habits is beneficial for actively participating in democracy.

AP US Government and AP Comparative Government teacher Andrew Merritt emphasized the importance of voting. “So it’s critical to vote the first time because then you go, ‘I get to vote this year’, and it becomes a habit. And I think the younger, the earlier you can vote in an election, at 18 or whenever, the more likely you are to continue,” Merritt said.

Model UN treasurer Owen Jacobson added, “I would really just encourage people to partake in democracy and vote, even if you don’t have a strong political opinion. I mean, even just knowing what’s going on, taking some stance in it, and casting your vote is important.”

Even if eligible students did not have the opportunity to visit the voting registration booth, they can complete the short registration here by Oct. 21 to register for the election.

Editor’s Note: The author of this article is a member of Key Club, but was not part of the planning for this event or initiative.

$305
$550