State College Girls Rugby takes on Nationals

The State College Girls Rugby Team smile with their trophies after winning the State Championship.

Stephanie Muller, Staff Writer

The State College Girls Rugby claimed the title of the best in state this weekend at the Pennsylvania State Championships.  The team has been recruiting heavily and all the girls except one have had no experience prior to joining the high school team.

The girls capped off their undefeated season with the win over Valkyries and then Downingtown. The championship game ended in a final score of 19-7. The girls team now has the opportunity to face teams from around the US and represent the state of Pennsylvania.

The team includes girls with varying skill levels. Freshman Eryka McGhee says, “I always come out on the field expecting the most. I love the rush of the game. Getting out onto the field knowing that I’m going to give and take some blows excites me to play better. I’m always pumped for games because I know how great my team is.”

Those who are more experienced have seen the team go from being inexperienced to best in the state. Senior Kristina Mannarino said, “I’ve been with the rugby team since my freshman year and the level of physical intensity has definitely risen. Every practice we are pushing each other to get better, and this has proven true in our games as well. The team is like a family, we all have each other’s back. I tore my ACL last year and my teammates helped me get through it. I’m back this  year and it feels so good to play again.”

The first game of nationals for State College is on May 20 in Missouri and if you want to help the team with travel expenses, you can visit their GoFundMe page to donate.