Streaking Through the Season: Boys’ Basketball Defeats Central Dauphin

Senior Ryan McNulty shoots (and scores) a free throw that helped to catapult the Little Lions to a 77-53 victory against Central Dauphin.

Lena Clark, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, the State College Little Lions faced Central Dauphin High School. At halftime, the score was 46-22, and by the end of the game, the Little Lions won 77-53. Senior team captain Drew Friberg scored 17 points (including 13 in the first quarter). Other high scorers included senior Ryan McNulty, with 13 points, and senior Brandon Clark, who added 11.

This season, the Little Lions are undefeated, and the stakes get higher with every passing game. But even with great pressure, the team has no problem staying engaged and connected. Senior Max Benner said, “It will only get tougher going forward, but I have a great feeling about our group.” Teammate Drew Friberg said, “We’re looking to continue to improve with each game.” This year, the Little Lions are defending their PIAA conference championship, a title that, before last year, the team hadn’t claimed since 2009. Benner said, “Knowing that, as the best team in the league, we are going to get everybody’s best shot any given night really motivates us.”

The Little Lions are playing one of their toughest seasons yet, but the team is united against any challenge that comes their way. Benner said, “I love the feeling of running up and down the floor with four of my friends every day. I know that I’m around a great group of kids when I’m playing.”

My favorite part is just the excitement that comes with the game,” said Friberg. “I play because it’s my favorite thing to do.”

The Little Lions will face Central Dauphin East on Friday, January 12th.