Stepping Up To The Plate

Katelyn James, Staff Writer

On Monday the 14th they played a home game against Central Mountain. Unfortunately they lost this game 4-3, but the players all have excellent attitudes about the loss, and explained how they are going to improve.

Colin Davis, freshman, said, “I think that my team is really good at not giving up, which is something that you need for any sport.” Davis plays third base and shortstop, and has been playing baseball for ten years. Most people’s favorite part of playing a sport is that feeling that you get when you win a game.

Garret Holzapfel, freshman, said, “I think that we played the field pretty well and I think that we hit pretty well at most times.” Holzapfel continued, “My favorite part of the game was probably just having fun and watching my teammates do their jobs. But I think that we could not make as many errors and get the bats fired up and we would be better.” Holzapfel plays pitcher, and has a lot of experience in baseball because he has also been playing for ten years.

Juman Sung, freshman, said, “My favorite part of baseball is playing with my teammates, and the satisfaction of hitting the ball.” Sung plays first base, and has been playing baseball for a total of eight years. A strong team bond can make or break the team. This year, State High’s Team seems to care a lot about how their teammates are doing, and they all have excellent chemistry. Sung also said, “Our team is really good at pitching, and we get along pretty well.”

The State High Baseball Team has practiced very hard so far this season, they have practiced for two hours after school everyday, and the skills that are learned, are shown off during games. Although they did not win their most recent game, they still did have great effort, and came close to winning. This team has a lot of great qualities are they are definitely stepping up for success this season.

Maitlyn Poduszlo
The State High team is playing against Central Mountain in a close game. Garret Holzapfel, freshman, said, “My favorite part of the game was probably just having fun and watching my teammates do their jobs.” Though State High did not win this game, they still have a great team who are going to pull through to make this a great season.