SCGVB Teams up with My Mental Health Matters Club in First Green Out Game

The Volleyball team and MMHM club stand together to present their check for the money raised during the Green Out game. First row from left to right: Suzanne Lyke, Hailey Steele, Gwyneth Jones and Emi Shukla. Second row left to right: Jess Irwin, Anjelica Rubin, Leah Henderson, Katie Finlin, and Maria Chapman. Third row from left to right: Jennifer Evans, Sarah Hart, Isadora Drager, Jessica Griel, Anna Witmer, Mariah Airey, Abby Fozard, Samantha Shala, and Claire Jordan.

Grace Roeshot, Staff Writer

You may have heard of a Pink Out game, which raises awareness and money for breast cancer, but you probably have not heard of a Green Out game. A Green Out game is a game that raises awareness for mental health resources. On October 1st, the girls’ volleyball team played their first Green Out game against Chambersburg.

They raised $2,336.24.

The volleyball team paired up with State High’s My Mental Health Matters club to raise awareness about the issue of mental health as well as provide resources for students. “Mental health issues are something that affects us all and we all need to have an environment where we feel like we can get the help that we need and we also have opportunities to do so,” senior Jessica Griel, a member of the My Mental Health Matters club, said.

Griel said the club’s goal is “to make [mental health resources] more available for everyone.” The My Mental Health Matter club meets weekly to discuss matters surrounding mental health, including the de-stigmatization. The goal of the green out game was to “smash the stigma” around mental health.

The club members who attended the green out game were not the only ones who believe mental health is important. Senior Kayla Moran said, “Especially in high school all teenagers go through stuff… and in our generation and society sometimes it’s looked down upon as a weakness or not good to go talk to someone. So we’re doing [the green out game] to spread awareness.” Moran said that the green out game replaced their normal Pink Out game.

Sophomore Vanessa McGhee said, “I think it’s different from how we usually do a Pink Out but something important that we brought into the SCGVB community.” The Pink Out and Green Out both support different but important causes in the eyes of the players and club members.

“Green is the color of mental health awareness so [similar to how] there are ribbons for cancer, there’s a ribbon for mental health,” Griel said. The My Mental Health Matters club came up with the idea when a player, junior Mariah Airey, wore the club’s t-shirt to a volleyball practice. They then had to cram in making all the decorations, buttons, and ribbons.

As for the game, State High beat Chambersburg in the three out of three sets played. They won the first set 25 to 16, the second 26 to 24, and the third 25 to 6. The second set wasn’t won as easily as the first. McGhee said the turning point in the games (including the Green Out game) are usually, “whenever we get out second win and we come back swinging. We get momentum and it pushes us forward.”

According to Moran, Chambersburg is typically a tough opponent. “We just focused on what we didn’t do great last time to prepare for this game and we succeeded,” Moran said. The girls’ next game is Senior Night on Thursday, October 11th against Cedar Cliff. “They were the only team that’s taken a set from us this season,” Moran said. Despite their lost set to Cedar Cliff, State High remains undefeated.

If you feel like you yourself can’t “smash the stigma” alone, Griel said that by discussing the topic with your friends, “supporting your friends when they need it and letting them know it’s okay to be vulnerable and it’s okay to be helped,” helps with the cause.

Senior Sarah Hart said it is important to remember to take it “one day at a time.”

If you or anyone you know is struggling with mental health, there are reliable resources available at State High, as well as various outside hotlines that run 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Crisis Call Center: 800-273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863

HopeLine: Call or text 919-231-4525 or 1-877-235-4525