Is It Important To Know A Second Language?

+
Back to Article
Back to Article

David Galchenko, Staff Writer

At State High, there are many different classes, electives, and opportunities. One of these opportunities is learning a second language. State High offers Spanish, German, French, Chinese, Arabic, and Latin. Despite these opportunities, students don’t know if they should take a second language, because they are not sure if learning a second language is important.

According to junior Villi Snejko, “Knowing a second language is very important in life. First of all, you can get a better job later on if you know multiple languages. Also, you can travel to other places more easily if you know that language.” Snejko takes Chinese at State High.  

When thinking about a second language, English isn’t the language that first comes to mind. But for some people it is, and English is important for them to know. Rodrigo Garrido, freshman at State High, recently moved to State College from Chile. “Knowing Spanish and English is a big advantage. Because Spanish is my first language, it will be easier to get into a good college. Also, I heard that knowing two or more languages reduces the risk of getting Alzheimer’s by 10%. So that is some kind of advantage,” Garrido said.

Knowing a second language is evidently important for business purposes too. On the importance of knowing a second language, the “Bloomsbury News Blog” said that,

Today’s economy is increasingly globalized, and this means that many of us are interacting across cultures in a way we never did before. In such an economy, the importance of learning a second language becomes self-evident. Learning a second language helps you to communicate across cultures and to conduct business in lands you may never have previously considered viable markets. It also helps you to address customers in the language that they understand best and in which they are most comfortable communicating.” So if you want to become a successful marketer, it would be wise to learn a second language.

David Galchenko, Staff Writer

My name is David Galchenko. I’m a 9th grader at State College State High. I was born in Ukraine and moved to America with my family when I was two years...

1 Comment

One Response to “Is It Important To Know A Second Language?”

1. Rik Bhattacharyya on February 22nd, 2019 3:06 pm

Great job David! I”m so proud of you.