Seniors Ball Out One Last Time

Auden Yurman

Senior Tommy Friberg dribbles past Central Dauphin’s Rance Russo on Friday night. As a senior and in the starting line up, he knows the importance of being ready for every game. “I have gotten into a lot better shape then I was going into freshman year,” Friberg said.

Kaylee Richards, Staff Writer

One of the most bittersweet moments of the year is when the boys’ basketball seniors must say goodbye to their beloved home court. With tears from parents and smiles from teammates, Tommy Friberg, Jarron Standridge, Cam Villarouel, Brenden Franks, and Oliver Kile played their last game in the North Gym.

The team won the game versus Central Dauphin with a score of 74-54. Previously in the season, the team had lost to CD with a score of 61-54.

As the five seniors left the court for the final time, Brenden Franks got down all all fours and kissed the sacred court as he walked off.  “As an athlete, I’ve grown in my ability to persevere through tough times, learn to work with my teammates, and never take a single moment for granted,” Franks said. “I’m most looking forward to college and going off to study finance and travel the world while doing it.”

For some, there are memories with teammates that will last forever. “My favorite memory with my teammates would have to be preseason tournament we would travel to, especially ones we stayed in a hotel in together,” senior Oliver Kile said.

Times shared on and off the court are precious to each athlete. Senior Cam Villarouel’s favorite memory with his teammates is simply a bus ride home from Altoona. Even the little things count. With many key players departing the team last season, these seniors had some big shoes to fill. “I’ve grown a lot because I had to step into a bigger role this year and was able to really show my talents,” Villarouel said.

“My favorite memory is beating both Chambersburg and Cumberland Valley on buzzer beaters,” Franks said. Shots made within the very last seconds of the game occurred frequently this season. Oliver Kile caused anguish within the Chambersburg gymnasium, and junior Johnny Friberg tormented the competition in Cumberland Valley – both with buzzer beaters.

Senior Tommy Friberg recently commited to play football at Michigan next year. “I am really looking forward to joining the Wolverines next year. They have a really awesome tradition there and I’m excited to be apart of that,” Friberg said.

When all is said and done, all five seniors have big futures to look forward to. Rising seniors Johnny Friberg, Nick Pollack, Jay Villaroel, Brennan Dorefice, Cole Friberg, and Nate Lusk have a lot to look forward to for their senior season.

The team still has their upcoming District 6 championship match and if all goes well, will see more games after that.